• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 news 2021/22

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at the fixtures remaining which I detailed above, the number of fixtures each team in the shake up has against each other is as follows (current points and total games played in brackets) - updated:

Northampton 1 (66 / 40)
Swindon 2 (62 / 39)
Sutton 2 (61 / 39)
Tranmere 2 (64 / 40)
Salford 2 (62 / 40)
City 3 (71 / 39)
Newport 3 (63 / 40)
FGR 3 (78 / 39)
Mansfield 3 (66 / 39)
Port Vale 3 (69 / 40)
Bristol Rovers 4 (66 / 40)

fred binneys head

So Northampton have got 2 fewer games against the top 10 than us, but they’ve also got 5 fewer points.

Colesman Ballz

So Northampton have got 2 fewer games against the top 10 than us, but they’ve also got 5 fewer points.
Not forgetting that we still have an extra game in hand over them too ! :)

andrew p long

not forgetting that the one game they have against a top ten team is their final home game of the season against us!

Glad I've now got my ticket for that one. Its bound to be massively important to one or (more probably) both teams.

(got my ticket for Northampton after all through the good natured support of Exeweb. Many thanks to Red Devon - and others such as Grecian in Barnsley who offered to help out)

older-codger

If we get 9 points from our 7 games then it will need 2 out of the remaining 9 contenders (excl FGR) to achieve the following points:

Northampton – 15 from 6 or 5 wins from 6
Swindon– 19 from 7 or 6 wins and 1 draw
Sutton - 20 from 7 or 7 wins
Tranmere – 17 from 6 or 6 wins from 6
Salford – 19 from 6 i.e. not possible
Newport – 18 from 6 or 6 wins from 6
Mansfield – 15 from 7 or at least 5 wins from 7
Port Vale – 15 from 6 or 5 wins from 6
Bristol Rovers - 15 from 6 or 5 wins from 6

Salford target is impossible so they are out, leaving 2 from 8.

Of the remaining 8, three will need to win all of their remaining matches. Sutton and Newport play each other so one of those will not make it. 2 from 7 left.

Of the remaining 7, Swindon will need to win all but one and must at least draw that one, three can only afford to lose 1 out of 6 and must win the other 5. Given teams that have to play each other, some of those will be eliminated by each other.

Mansfield are best placed with being able to lose 2. However, they have to play Sutton, Salford and FGR.

If we can’t get 9 points from 7, then we probably don’t deserve autos.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we get 9 points from our 7 games then it will need 2 out of the remaining 9 contenders (excl FGR) to achieve the following points:

Of the remaining 8, three will need to win all of their remaining matches. Sutton and Newport play each other so one of those will not make it. 2 from 7 left.

Of the remaining 7, Swindon will need to win all but one and must at least draw that one, three can only afford to lose 1 out of 6 and must win the other 5. Given teams that have to play each other, some of those will be eliminated by each other.

Mansfield are best placed with being able to lose 2. However, they have to play Sutton, Salford and FGR.

Good analysis thanks OC, I'm just buying my Barrow tickets now? Or will it be Rochdale ?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

OC, that is the most re-assuring post to date. Puts it all into perspective but even so I still cant relax until the rotund lady has sung her song

denzel

Surely Vale only need 12 points?

Alistair20000

As the old saying goes

It’s Difficult to Make Predictions, Especially About the Future

older-codger

Surely Vale only need 12 points?
You are right Denzil - my mistake. They join Mansfield as being able to lose 2 and be still in the frame, but they have to play 3 in the mix (Bristol Rovers, Newport and us) that could eliminate them and leave it in our hands