• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How to Spend our Windfall

ExmouthMart

Just an aside from talking about promotion for a moment ............... Due to Ollie's exploits we are due an unexpected windfall of I believe £112k or therabouts. So if you were the 'Chairman of the Board' what would you advise we do with the money? Some suggestions could include (but please feel free to come up with any others please):

1) Further improvements to the pitch in the closed season as required to build upon what took place this past season

2) Plug the gap in the increase in the planned building project at the training ground

3) Improved salary offer to Jevani Brown (one of the few remaining not to have accepted a longer deal)

4) Rip out and replace the fading red seats in the Doble Stand

I'm torn between the training ground and making Jevani an offer he can't refuse as I feel he is so important to how we play. Thoughts ...
Are we calling it the Doble Stand again then?!

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
The budget for the new building at the training ground was dependent on the club receiving further income from transfers. The manager had to give an assessment/assurances that he expected further transfer monies to come in. The potential further payments for Ollie's transfer to Villa were possibles that will have featured in MT's assessment.
Further the contractor for the new building has withdrawn and the project will be delayed This will lead to further costs; delay in this era of inflation could easily add 5%.
So, insofar as this money is not already accounted for, it could sensibly be kept for contingencies on the new building (disappointing and unexciting though this is)
PS I see that CB has beaten me to this!
Exactly that. If I remember rightly MT gave the board an estimate of 1.2 Million in player sales/windfalls that would go towards the training ground building budget. The trust did also say that this was a conservative estimate from MT. I would assume that some of the additional money due to Ollie doing so well (especially Villa staying up) has been earmarked as part of that 1.2 million.

Now if Ethan could force his way in at Chelsea and start playing or at least get sold then that 20% windfall would be a different a story!

gilbertshoot

Give Jevani a pay rise, give him a bucket of red paint and a brush and tell him to crack on!
Oh, and if he could give Chas a hand, that would be good too.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly that. If I remember rightly MT gave the board an estimate of 1.2 Million in player sales/windfalls that would go towards the training ground building budget. The trust did also say that this was a conservative estimate from MT. I would assume that some of the additional money due to Ollie doing so well (especially Villa staying up) has been earmarked as part of that 1.2 million.

Now if Ethan could force his way in at Chelsea and start playing or at least get sold then that 20% windfall would be a different a story!
And I would assume that, as usual, part of any windfall will be allocated to the playing budget and the rest to various other parts of the club budget. In reality I expect our income has been higher than predicted in a number of other areas as well - cup wins, higher attendances towards the end of the season - and all this extra money will be grouped together when considering the budget for next season; hopefully some of the money might have to be spent on promtion bonuses.

I would also guess than one more big player sale would be enough for us to consider extending the training ground redevelopment; in which case if, say, Josh Key, is sold quite soon after the end of the season the delayed start could work in our favour and we might be able to save a bit of money by doing the whole redevelopment in one go.

Andy_H

Just an aside from talking about promotion for a moment ............... Due to Ollie's exploits we are due an unexpected windfall of I believe £112k or therabouts. So if you were the 'Chairman of the Board' what would you advise we do with the money? Some suggestions could include (but please feel free to come up with any others please):

1) Further improvements to the pitch in the closed season as required to build upon what took place this past season

2) Plug the gap in the increase in the planned building project at the training ground

3) Improved salary offer to Jevani Brown (one of the few remaining not to have accepted a longer deal)

4) Rip out and replace the fading red seats in the Doble Stand

I'm torn between the training ground and making Jevani an offer he can't refuse as I feel he is so important to how we play. Thoughts ...
Oh this old chestnut again...... stick more bums on them and nobody will know [or care!] if they're faded red or possibly even GREEN!
Anyway, you can strike this one off your list as it's already underway, courtesy of a generous donation of a few hundred seats from Southampton FC. For those unaware, they were/are in those cardboard boxes stored in the disabled bay of the away end. As to the old faded seats, they may yet have a 'second life', watch this space.

Bridgy 81

Oh this old chestnut again...... stick more bums on them and nobody will know [or care!] if they're faded red or possibly even GREEN!
Anyway, you can strike this one off your list as it's already underway, courtesy of a generous donation of a few hundred seats from Southampton FC. For those unaware, they were/are in those cardboard boxes stored in the disabled bay of the away end. As to the old faded seats, they may yet have a 'second life', watch this space.
That’s generous of Southampton. Brightening the faded seats will make a further positive difference to the various other stadium improvements.
I’m intrigued by your cryptic final sentence.
Maybe a small (hopefully covered) stand at the training ground to watch the various matches from.

milts

Is Jevani out of contract in the summer? A recent report in the E&E suggested he signed a multi year deal when he joined.

Andy_H

That’s generous of Southampton. Brightening the faded seats will make a further positive difference to the various other stadium improvements.
I’m intrigued by your cryptic final sentence.
Maybe a small (hopefully covered) stand at the training ground to watch the various matches from.
Ask no questions, tell no lies....... it's still in it's infancy but..............

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our turnover must be much larger than it used to be, and in the scheme of things 112k isn't really a windfall. It simply goes in the bank to stave off a possible struggling season in the future. We have already upped player investment levels compared to before and this is being managed at a sensible rate by the look of things. Looking at transfers over the years, it not about how much you spend (as long as you spend something), rather it's about making the right choice at the available price, which I know some people on here think is easy, but it's incredibly difficult. Those same people often have something negative to say about a new signing who then goes on to prove them wrong. I actually think last summer's business was our best ever, how we ended up having a better team after losing Bowman, Williams and especially Randall really impresses me. None of the new players cost a bomb but they have ended up carrying us through the more challenging parts of the season.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Andy, I put the seats option in the list not because I think it's a priority but for the excat opposite reason. I have never agreed with those who have argued for this purely because there are always (imo) much better ways of using our scarce resources. The fact that no-one (yet) has suggested it kind of proves the point