• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport 2 Apr 22 Discussion

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's frustrating becuase, like at Sutton, there are still plenty of places available in the home end but, for whatever reason, Newport don't, or can't, increase the away allocation.
Yes but Newport's away allocation isn't much different from ours, and the rest of the ground will be pretty full so we can't complain about that.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes but Newport's away allocation isn't much different from ours, and the rest of the ground will be pretty full so we can't complain about that.
Beat me to it. They had nearly 6,500 in total for Bristol recently, and I'm sure Rovers would have taken more if they had been allowed.

Argyle and others have complained in the past about our away allocation. As I said, it's inevitable. There are supposed to be FA / EFL rules about away fans getting fair numbers but these are always 2nd fiddle to ground logistics, home manipulation to get as many home fans in as possible, and police advice. eg at Liverpool we were given nothing like the allocation we should have been.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Beat me to it. They had nearly 6,500 in total for Bristol recently, and I'm sure Rovers would have taken more if they had been allowed.

Argyle and others have complained in the past about our away allocation. As I said, it's inevitable. There are supposed to be FA / EFL rules about away fans getting fair numbers but these are always 2nd fiddle to ground logistics, home manipulation to get as many home fans in as possible, and police advice. eg at Liverpool we were given nothing like the allocation we should have been.
Newport's capacity is nearly 8 000 so even for Bristol Rovers there were well over 1 000 empty spaces in the ground. I know there are logistical issues involved but it just surprises me that clubs like Sutton and Newport don't do more to try and maximise their revenue by finding a way to get more away fans in the ground.

denzel

I don't know how Argyle can complain (actually I do, they're Argyle!), but giving any side a whole end and two seated blocks strikes me as generous.
And they haven't had the pleasure of Sutton!

denzel

Newport's capacity is nearly 8 000 so even for Bristol Rovers there were well over 1 000 empty spaces in the ground. I know there are logistical issues involved but it just surprises me that clubs like Sutton and Newport don't do more to try and maximise their revenue by finding a way to get more away fans in the ground.
So when Swindon sold out their allocation for Boxing Day (I know it was called off, but they were clamouring for more tickets before that happened) you would have been happy giving them more tickets for the home ends? Where do you suggest they go and what do you do with the ST holders in those seats?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
So when Swindon sold out their allocation for Boxing Day (I know it was called off, but they were clamouring for more tickets before that happened) you would have been happy giving them more tickets for the home ends? Where do you suggest they go and what do you do with the ST holders in those seats?
I believe the Club have decided not to do this, but it would be possible to give an away club Block A with a suitable barrier, say 2 rows if seats, and all entry via St James Road turnstiles. No ST holders involved. We did it once in the OG when Pompey came I think they had 1500 fans. But nowadays with changed customer preference we can probably fill all the seats ourselves, as we nearly did yesterday.

bootesful

There is always going to be excess demand for the most local fixtures, and Club and Trust agreed some years ago the priority list for these.

So Gold and Silver Trust members get first dibs at tickets for in-demand away fixtures. If you qualify you should have had an email about tickets, and should contact the club if you didn't get this. If not, then sympathy but the home clubs determine how many tickets go to away fans and Newport have just over 1,000 away allocation. So a sell-out was inevitable, as was the case at Rovers.
My experience is the opposite - here in E Yorkshire, the local (2-3 hour drives) away games rarely sell out- Good Friday at Lincoln a few years back is the only one I've wanted to go to and couldn't- and that took a fortnight. Understand and respect the ticketing system, just wasn't personally prepared for the speed. Especially frustrating because we'll be going to the ground to drop someone off as a minimum and not having tickets ourselves will be particularly hard to take!

arthur

eg at Liverpool we were given nothing like the allocation we should have been.
...and for that those who couldn't go should be extremely grateful

denzel

Didn't we have 9000 at Liverpool? Twice as much as our home gate at the time?
I can't see how anyone could complain about that.
But as has been said above, I'd happily go back in time and give someone else that ticket

Oldsmobile-88

I recall the times when the Grecians maximised away followings to the detriment of their own supporters, a frigging embarrassing episode to put it mildly.
Wolves, Cardiff & Preston have all been allocated the BB in days gone by for 4th Division games.The latter two could have easily been accommodated in the away end given the number that actually travelled.
A recent example against Sheff Utd(2012) when a few blocks of the IP were given to the away team(when only A block of the OG was away seating) did not go down very well at the time with Grecians in that stand.