• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
"The BBC must defend itself with all its might against this mortal threat" writes Polly Toynbee.

That's when you know the right thing is happening (or about to)!

You know, when all is said and done, were £2bn to be cut from their funding, I doubt we'd notice very much.

I used to avidly watch BBC4, but now it's just full of old repeats. It's nothing they couldn't shoehorn into BBC2. And there's plenty of other fat to be trimmed.

Lineker may well still be there however.

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Impartiality is a cornerstone of the BBC charter AU, perhaps you should take a look.
As Jinxy helpfully explained yesterday, all other broadcasters are subject to ofcom regulations, but the BBC however is subject to slightly more onerous rules as part of its charter.
If I’m compelled by law to spaff up the licence fee every year, I’d like them to stick to their charter. Only fair.
I don't see how a tweet, in a personal capacity, not in any way hostile, and agreeing with some of Ms Dorries tweet could be seen as a huge, bloated organisation as being impartial. Or even being seen to be impartial, by anybody without an agenda.

angelic upstart

"The BBC must defend itself with all its might against this mortal threat" writes Polly Toynbee.

Oh my days! At this rate I will have to stop defending the Beeb.

Banksy

What , by upping everyones’ benefits before the gravy train runs out?

iscalad

You know, when all is said and done, were £2bn to be cut from their funding, I doubt we'd notice very much.

I used to avidly watch BBC4, but now it's just full of old repeats. It's nothing they couldn't shoehorn into BBC2. And there's plenty of other fat to be trimmed.

Lineker may well still be there however.
Love BBC 4

tavyred

I don't see how a tweet, in a personal capacity, not in any way hostile, and agreeing with some of Ms Dorries tweet could be seen as a huge, bloated organisation as being impartial. Or even being seen to be impartial, by anybody without an agenda.
Give it up AU, he did not tweet his opinion in order to largely agree with a minister who stated that the licence fee as we know it was going to end. Quite the opposite in fact, it was obviously a riposte to her original tweet.
There’s quite the campaign now from past and current recipients of licence payers cash it seems.

angelic upstart

Give it up AU, he did not tweet his opinion in order to largely agree with a minister who stated that the licence fee as we know it was going to end. Quite the opposite in fact, it was obviously a riposte to her original tweet.
There’s quite the campaign now from past and current recipients of licence payers cash it seems.
Just remember, it offers loads of content. It's largely decent fare and once it's gone, it's gone for good. Loads of it will never be able to be replicated. The license fee alone is worth it for CBBC and cbeebies.

Banksy

The license fee alone is worth it for CBBC and cbeebies.
Well at least they’re funnier than Ant and Dec.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just remember, it offers loads of content. It's largely decent fare and once it's gone, it's gone for good. Loads of it will never be able to be replicated. The license fee alone is worth it for CBBC and cbeebies.
Yeah, but that Mr Tumble is converting children to marxism, and the teletubbies are LGBT propaganda.

Mr Jinx

Which is pretty much what I'd be saying about 5 years ago.

Fast forward to today I think I only watch University Challenge and the odd documentary, but even the latter are few and far between now. The kids (who aren't that old) gave up CBeebies/CBBC some time ago. They don't even know how to operate the Sky box given the prevalence of Netflix/Prime/Youtube. It's only me in the house that uses it now to watch the odd bit of Terrestial TV.

I can't watch its News nor Question Time any more. A lot of the rest is woke cringe. We tried to give the new Around the World in 80 Days a go, but stopped after the one episode. I gave up on MOTD too. Just can't be done with it.

Last edited: