• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which is pretty much what I'd be saying about 5 years ago.

Fast forward to today I think I only watch University Challenge and the odd documentary, but even the latter are few and far between now. The kids (who aren't that old) gave up CBeebies/CBBC some time ago. They don't even know how to operate the Sky box given the prevalence of Netflix/Prime/Youtube. It's only me in the house that uses it now to watch the odd bit of Terrestial TV.

I can't watch its News nor Question Time any more. A lot of the rest is woke cringe. We tried to give the new Around the World in 80 Days a go, but stopped after the one episode. I gave up on MOTD too. Just can't be done with it.
I barely watch any TV. But I do use their website and listen to their radio.

What do you think will happen to the cost of subscription services when freeview is left with about 5 channels? The cost will rise.

Alistair20000

Fast forward to today I think I only watch University Challenge and the odd documentary, but even the latter are few and far between now. The kids (who aren't that old) gave up CBeebies/CBBC some time ago. They don't even know how to operate the Sky box given the prevalence of Netflix/Prime/Youtube. It's only me in the house that uses it now to watch the odd bit of Terrestial TV.

I can't watch its News nor Question Time any more. A lot of the rest is woke cringe. We tried to give the new Around the World in 80 Days a go, but stopped after the one episode. I gave up on MOTD too. Just can't be done with it.
Us too but a couple of episodes for a few minutes each. Very odd with Fogg spending so much time in fannying around instead of getting on with the journey. :(

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really don't get all this hate for the BBC.

FWIW, I stopped watching the BBC news a long time ago because, it seems to me, it's so preoccupied with offending the snowflakes on the right it doesn't go near lots of entirely legitimate news stories. Gimme the News at 10 any day!

At the same time, I used to enjoy This Week and didn't turn it off in a fit of spite because Andrew Neil's politics were to the right of mine and Michael Portillo was once a Tory MP.

The Beeb is a broad church and I appreciate that not everything it does is to everyone's taste, but it seems to me you've got to be a pretty bitter individual to call for an end to the licence fee because the presenter of MoTD uses his own personal social media channels to speak about his politics.

angelic upstart

Dan Walker (BBC salary thought to be £275K pa) he of BBC Breakfast
And football focus, final score, match of the day (sometimes) and the NFL show.

Not bad value eh?

Average Joe

The BBC publish the wages but leading competitors don't. We don't know how much the Talk Sport team are on, we don't know how much the Coronotation Street actors are paid so in comparrison the BBC could be just offering a fair wage in comparison.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Impartiality is a cornerstone of the BBC charter AU, perhaps you should take a look.
As Jinxy helpfully explained yesterday, all other broadcasters are subject to ofcom regulations, but the BBC however is subject to slightly more onerous rules as part of its charter.
If I’m compelled by law to spaff up the licence fee every year, I’d like them to stick to their charter. Only fair.
Please provide me with an example of where Gary Lineker has done something which has been at odds with the BBC charter – as opposed to your perception of what's in it, gleaned, I suspect, from entirely impartial sources such as The Daily Mail and Guido Fawkes.

If it helps, there's a link to the charter here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/how_we_govern/2016/charter.pdf

As regards Gary Lineker's tweets, here's what it says in the BBC's editorial guidelines:
Expressions of Opinion on Social Media

Section 2 Rule 3 above requires that you do not express a personal opinion on matters of public policy, politics, or ‘controversial subjects' if your work requires you to maintain your impartiality, ie. if you are working in news and current affairs (across all Divisions) and factual journalism production or senior management. Nothing should appear on your personal social media accounts that undermine the perception of the BBC’s integrity or impartiality.
Again, do please point me in the direction of a tweet from Lineker which contravenes the above guidelines.

angelic upstart

Radio? Website? BBC bitesize?
Maybe you're an S4C type :D

geoffwp

I wonder if our two true blues were tub thumping back when new labour were leading the way, or has all this unfair treatment of a government only happened recently? I don't suppose for one minute they've considered it might be due to the continually dog shyte standards their mob has displayed then?

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I gave up on MOTD too. Just can't be done with it.
You moan incessantly about cancel culture and then proceed to tell us you've given up on MotD because, I presume, Lineker might occasionally tweet something with which you disagree. Jesus wept.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

I love the BBC , its duty is to inform, educate and entertain. That's brilliant.