• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United v Exeter City FA Cup 2nd Round Match Day Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Yesterday was as cold as I've been for a long time! It was a good game, really enjoyed it, right up to the disallowed goal and the farcical way it was handled. A different phase? What was the referee on about? Hope Cambridge get Rochdale away next round as a reward.

I worry about upcoming games with Nombe, hope Amond is able to step up. I'm sure he was ready to come on yesterday, and was surprised to see Kyle Taylor enter the field of play instead.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
For those of you wondering what planet I was on earlier in the season re Nombe and Jay watch the build up to the penalty. You couldn't get a clearer example of what I'm asking for from Matt. Now ask yourselves how many times you've seen him serve Nombe like that. You'll struggle to answer because it has happened so little.

crocks

That was a very good Vlog, enjoyed that.

Has to be said that Cambridge did miss a whole heap of chances and Dawson did well to keep out a lot of it.

But good grief, how the ref can overrule the lino on that offside, and it was clearly offside, well....all I can say is that Cambridge must have paid him well.

Oldsmobile-88

A free date on 8th January now.Harrogate are in the 3rd Rd following their win at Pompey yesterday.

What a galling way to lose a cup game !
It reminded me of the farcical way that Bowman’s equaliser at Walsall a couple of seasons ago,was chalked off after opposition players crowded the linesman.

sidney

Little doubt in my mind that their player was offside and clearly interfering with play. If that was not bad enough, the linesman correctly spotted it and signalled immediately.

The referee then takes the time to consult the linesman and consider the situation. This is the worst bit: he should have asked 'Was he interfering with play?' to which the response has to be 'Yes', in which case it is a free kick to City. I suspect he asked 'Did he touch it?' and based his decision upon that.

My conclusion is that he either did not know the laws of the game, or that he panicked under pressure from the Cambridge crowd and players, and capitulated. Either way it is a depressing example of the weakness we see regularly from officials. It is why players from every team pressurise referees: it works. You get decisions overturned in your favour as a result.

So this is what counts as not being involved in play! View attachment 7479
Picture better than a 1000 words...

crocks

Picture better than a 1000 words...
You can see Dawson getting himself ready to save a header coming from the lad who's OFFSIDE!!

tonykellowfan

Yes that was a decision that went against and I think most sensible refs would not have got involved. Offside, end of story carry on with the game.

older-codger

What he actually said to the linesman was "look do you really want to travel all the way to Exeter on a Tuesday night for the replay?"

STURTZ

Offside bloke was affecting play, no goal.