• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester United versus Exeter City - League Two [23 November 2021] matchday thread.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
It had to happen at some point, as others have said let’s just hope we bounce back on Saturday against Rochdale and don’t start a slump as we soon enter a very tough December.

CityTillIDie

End our unbeaten run on 20? I’m happy with that. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways on Saturday.

Disappointing, but not a disaster.

We looked ponderous esp at the moments when it most mattered - failing to move the ball more quickly to and in the final third.

Also, Hartridge had a poor game, he was closest to the danger in each of the three goals. He'll be better and so will we in coming games.

Reactions: WXF

thermopylai

Most worrying is that we utterly dominated for long periods and failed to create many clear cut chances. Was listening to the Colchester commentary and they were singing our praises throughout - "the best team we've seen this season" etc - and much of the build up play was great to watch. But in front of goal we were deeply disappointing.

red1

We played some really good football, but, we lack a killer finish/final ball. Nombe was a little slow to react to some neat passes on a couple of occasions and when he did was lacking in accuracy. Not too down after watching that, we were by far the better team, but its all about putting the ball in the net.

tonykellowfan

I think this was definitely a game where MT got the formation wrong.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Record had to go sometime but overall performance not great and we didn’t trouble their keeper over much.

Have not written this earlier because did not want to tempt fate. I was beginning to think this was going to be our year because we were beating the teams that on form we should be beat whereas in previous seasons we would regularly end up dropping points against them.

It is very early days yet and only our second defeat but it is the nature of this defeat which is worrying. Spotland, always supposing it is still called that, has never been a happy hunting ground for us so the way we play and the result Saturday is going to tell us a lot about the team’s ultimate potential so roll on Saturday UTC.

Last edited:

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the bright side, that may have saved KMT from being the Manager of the Month, and its associated curse ! 😎

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this was definitely a game where MT got the formation wrong.
I disagree. The formation was spot on, hence why we dominated the ball. What let us down was our crossing, final pass and finishing, and that has nothing to do with the formation.