• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Walsall match day thread.

Bridgy 81

another game that demonstrates that simply looking at league position is a very unreliable to the result of the next game.

City in 6th place now just there points ahead of the team in 17th!

Sixth place also misleading as we are joint 6th with 5 other clubs (ie 6th- 10th) separated only by goal difference
Stop it.
I’m aware of that too 😬

Memphis09

Strictly speaking two inches higher and it would have hit the bar face on and bounced back into play.
Nevermind but please Mr Taylor actually make these changes you keep talking about, we do have options and the last three games have been unconvincing. God knows how we have not been beaten. Safe to say that if we didn't have the best goalie in L2 we'd be struggling.
Yes I agree but what’s two inches was just trying to make a point
Although agree about the keeper did not have much to do yesterday but definitely the best in our league and has already won us a few points

Memphis09

Give the lad a break, he hasn't even played ten league games yet. He has given away precisely two, one of which wasn't actually in the box ! I vividly recall the vastly experienced Woody giving two identical ones away in the same match (indeed in the same half iirc). And didn't Moxey do similar ? Kite will improve with experience, and he is already "producing" in matches and has the potential to be fine player.
Think obviously down to lack of experience
Yes he has potential but think when we have a full squad he will be one that would not be there
Next season will be when he becomes a regular

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
To answer Arthur's question, take your pick depending on the situation. We have a choice of four very interchange central midfields in Collins, Taylor, Dieng and Big Nige. All very capable of doing a proper midfielders box to box job.
Yes we have 5 central midfielders to choose from. What about the wider positions in a midfield 4? Or do you mean a diamond, in which case MJ could play at the top of it?

grecIAN Harris

Yes we have 5 central midfielders to choose from. What about the wider positions in a midfield 4? Or do you mean a diamond, in which case MJ could play at the top of it?
No, proper normal midfield four. Two box to box midfielders and two wide men. It's why I said in the first post about changing to 4-4-2 even if it's at the expense of Jay or Brown or even both.

ChardGrecian

No good us having a decent midfield if the defenders just hoof over the top for a tiny Jay or much better as his feet Nombe. i fully appreciate and want the defence to clear their lines and put the ball in row K in the stand when needed but not hoof every time down the lines or over the top. With Archie back and Deng, Jay, Key and Brown capable of being decent threats hopefully we will use them. When we play on the ground we seem to be far more of a threat. We were really lucky to get another draw again.

andrew p long

off to start a thread about the line up for Tuesday's Paintpot...

arthur

No, proper normal midfield four. Two box to box midfielders and two wide men. It's why I said in the first post about changing to 4-4-2 even if it's at the expense of Jay or Brown or even both.
Yes, I get all that. But who are your two wide men? The two of Dieng, Atangana, Collins and Taylor who aren't in the middle? Or two other people?

grecIAN Harris

Coley down one side, maybe Brown down the right or Edwards. Coley looks like he likes to drift from one side to another and I would imagine both Brown and Edwards are capable of doing the same.

arthur

Coley down one side, maybe Brown down the right or Edwards. Coley looks like he likes to drift from one side to another and I would imagine both Brown and Edwards are capable of doing the same.
Yes, I'd agree. As would Milts. Just need to convince MT now...

If everyone was fit I’d be going with

Dawson
Key
Ray
Hartridge
Daniel
Collins
Dieng (possibly Taylor)
Brown
Edwards (possibly Coley)
Amond
Nombe

Brown would start on the right but given licence to move centrally to try and link the play with key getting forward on the overlap.

I can’t see that Amond would be any less effective than Jay and started in our best performance of the season so far - Rovers at home.