• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Walsall match day thread.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you were at the game as a neutral it was probably an entertaining game of football. As a fan it wasn't what you wanted to see, too many players, particularly forward playing, went missing today or at best were poor.
Key non existent first half although, to be fair, carried a threat in the second half with the change to 4-4-1-1.
Jay was poor and didn't get into the game at all. The less said about the penalty for a player of his touch the better.
Brown was completely anonymous aside from the ball for Nombe's goal.
Nombe tried to battle with Monthester but he was getting beaten up left, right and centre and is in desperate need of somebody playing beside him rather than off of him.
I think a change to playing a straightforward 4-4-2 might pay more dividends for us even if means leaving one of Jay or Brown out. I'd even go as far as leaving both out to accommodate Amond up front with Nombe.

STURTZ

Two inches higher and it would of been in the big bank
No excuse for not hitting the target and scoring
And yes he should not take pens
A draw was a fair result today
Strictly speaking two inches higher and it would have hit the bar face on and bounced back into play.
Nevermind but please Mr Taylor actually make these changes you keep talking about, we do have options and the last three games have been unconvincing. God knows how we have not been beaten. Safe to say that if we didn't have the best goalie in L2 we'd be struggling.

Colesman Ballz

My concern with Kite is the amount of penalties he is giving away. He's always a yard behind the man and dives in when the player is past him. He needs to read the play better and get caught out of position less.
Give the lad a break, he hasn't even played ten league games yet. He has given away precisely two, one of which wasn't actually in the box ! I vividly recall the vastly experienced Woody giving two identical ones away in the same match (indeed in the same half iirc). And didn't Moxey do similar ? Kite will improve with experience, and he is already "producing" in matches and has the potential to be fine player.

denzel

Think some people are a bit hard on Jay, two inches lower and that would have been the perfect penalty. Fine margins between being a hero and a broken man.
That's three he has missed, and even when he scored them they were a bit soft.
Its not a charity match, we need to score 90% of penalties. Did anyone think Miller would miss? No.

hardi2b

Writing with the caveat that i have no radio, internet buffers to an extreme that makes ifollow impossible to "follow" so, rely entirely on these pages !
It seems to me that the problem may well be in the link-up play through mid-field, and team mates not knowing where each other are or should be, there seems to be too many wayward passes / hoof-ball as a result. I agree with a previous someone earlier in these posts that bemoaned the lack of playing the ball out from the back.
Maybe I am misinterpreting that which I read ?

Grecian Max

Its not a charity match, we need to score 90% of penalties. Did anyone think Miller would miss? No.
This is bang on. It was an awful pen, high down the middle after his other misses… not good. Anyway he’s off them now.

hardi2b

I see it was Crocks post #211 👍

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

fred binneys head

Agreed, interesting that the Walsall keeper stood still for the penalty too, maybe that put MJ off?

arthur

I think a change to playing a straightforward 4-4-2
I tend to agree. Who would be your middle 4?