• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scunthorpe United V Exeter City MDT

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
What was interesting about today is that at no point did we really need to get out of second gear - unlike Rovers we didn’t need to blitz Scunthorpe, we were simply streets ahead. A complete cruise control win, executed brilliantly.

Certainly when it comes off MT teams produce the most fun/close to what I would consider the best football we just need to make sure this is a consistent thing this season. Looking at the squad and how it came together towards the end of the transfer window (compared to where we were at v Orient), we look strong all over the pitch and potentially competitors for that top 3 spot.

For all our attacking intent I think the difference this year in terms of result consistency is the emergence of Hartridge being beyond this level, Ray being an excellent addition, Sweeney being best in a 3 and Dawson… this solid line and lack of goals conceded so far should hopefully get us to that level. Because going forward we’re as lively as always.

Enjoyable stuff and liked watching our away fans too who were great.

Grecian Max

True, but the "pyro" is only going to damage our club in the long term.
It doesn’t though does it, this has been wheeled out for a least a decade and yet I see loads of fans using images of such times to show off our support… It looks good, is a bit anti establishment, all for it me

grecIAN Harris

Also agreed.
I think he’s been unfairly castigated on here. In my view he’s a good player and worthy of a place in our squad.
He’s obviously been played out of position this season but I’d rather he was with us than with one of our rivals.
Castigated? Yet more Exeweb over dramatisation. Compare and contrast his overall performance against Rovers and how he set up Diengs goal today against what he did last week against Village Green Rovers when going forward and then see if you might just be able to work out what the frustrations are about. Defensively he is sound whichever side of the pitch he is playing on, I don't think that's been bought into question. It's about what he wasn't doing going forwards and it's not like he wasn't getting into the right areas. He had opportunities to do what he did against Rovers and what he did today in setting up Diengs goal but let them pass him by. That's what the frustration was about.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Castigated? Yet more Exeweb over dramatisation. Compare and contrast his overall performance against Rovers and how he set up Diengs goal today against what he did last week against Village Green Rovers when going forward and then see if you might just be able to work out what the frustrations are about. Defensively he is sound whichever side of the pitch he is playing on, I don't think that's been bought into question. It's about what he wasn't doing going forwards and it's not like he wasn't getting into the right areas. He had opportunities to do what he did against Rovers and what he did today in setting up Diengs goal but let them pass him by. That's what the frustration was about.
For me the frustration was that Jake was being singled out for comment after the Forest Green game when he was far from being the biggest reason we didn't create much that day. I also found it frustrating that no-one seemed to take into account the quality of the player he was up against. We all know how good Kane Wilson is and Jake did a brilliant job keeping him quiet even if he wasn't able to do too much at the other end of the pitch. One final point is that I keep reading that Jake slows down our attacks because he has to cut inside to cross with his right foot and yet today his assist came when he cut inside to cross with his right foot.

For me, Jake is still worth his place in the team for his energy and pace on the ball. Even if his end product isn't always perfect we have central players like MJ and Jevani who have the quality to take advantage of the space created by Jake. And the fact that since Jake moved to left wing-back we have gone 5 games unbeaten, kept 3 clean sheets and scored 9 goals suggests it's working.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He has been our best players by far this season. A true "marquee" signing.
Maybe but Ray and Dawson have been pretty good as well.

Ian Tarr

he was far from being the biggest reason we didn't create much that day
The biggest being the absence of Jevani Brown that day......

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great win. Need to put some consistency in place to climb but that will come. Good to see Kite keeping/regaining his place.
I think, with one exception, we've been consistently pretty good in defence and one reason for that is being able to have a settled back 5. Further forward we've been more disrupted by illness and injury. Hopefully, if we can get Jay, Brown and Nombe on the pitch together more often we will start to score goals more consistently.

CraigECFC

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that’s the first away win in front of fans since Macclesfield in February 2020. Have I got that right?

i8cornwall

True, but the "pyro" is only going to damage our club in the long term.
Was there pyro set off yesterday?