• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Lee and Sonny Cox - sign professional contracts

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
This was also what I originally understood, Martin. But then I did some googling (after being put right by CB), and everywhere it says that pro contracts can only be signed at 17. So as one in the know, what sort of contracts would they have actually signed?
This is not correct. A scholarship is a pro contract Ian.

Two huge signings. Shows how good we are for developing youth and shows the premier league boys that they can’t always get what they want. Presumably there will be a clause in the contracts that we will sell them if an offer comes in above a certain figure. Probably the best signings of this window.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is not correct. A scholarship is a pro contract Ian.
I’m confused as, like Ian, I thought players couldn’t sign a professional contract until 17 as backed up by this article on Ethan. https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/9/19/16334434/ethan-ampadu-signs-first-professional-contract-joins-chelsea-first-team-training

burtiew

When a player turns 16 years old, the football club will meet with the player and their parents to make a decision on the player's development under the youth program.
As the player partaking in the scholarship reaches the age of 17, the club once again will meet with the player with two options. The club will either suggest remaining on the scholarship or offer a written contract.
The scholarship may also only be engaged by a player under the age of 17.
The rules of the FA state that a player under 17 years of age may not enter into a contract of employment except under a scholarship and a player under 18 years of age may not enter into a full contract of employment.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
When a player turns 16 years old, the football club will meet with the player and their parents to make a decision on the player's development under the youth program.
As the player partaking in the scholarship reaches the age of 17, the club once again will meet with the player with two options. The club will either suggest remaining on the scholarship or offer a written contract.
The scholarship may also only be engaged by a player under the age of 17.
The rules of the FA state that a player under 17 years of age may not enter into a contract of employment except under a scholarship and a player under 18 years of age may not enter into a full contract of employment.
True but footballing rules don't differentiate between a scholarship and a full professional deal. Although the amount you get in compo will be linked to length of contract. In any case EPPP does not apply in this case.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The key thing is, no other club can now come in and unilaterally sign either of the boys without permission and agreement of the club until the contracts run out. City hold the registrations of the players.

They can only sign a scholarship contract now under FA rules but can agree a pre-contract to sign a professional contract of up to three years when they turn 17. When they are 18, they can sign a professional contract of up to five years.

This really is the most the club can do as of this moment. It was a situation that few of us thought likely until just about today although the vibes were giving out some hope.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The key thing is, no other club can now come in and unilaterally sign either of the boys without permission and agreement of the club until the contracts run out. City hold the registrations of the players.

They can only sign a scholarship contract now under FA rules but can agree a pre-contract to sign a professional contract of up to three years when they turn 17. When they are 18, they can sign a professional contract of up to five years.

This really is the most the club can do as of this moment. It was a situation that few of us thought likely until just about today although the vibes were giving out some hope.

Attachments

jjmanning

Surely we have pre agreed Pro deals with both players then? Hence the club announcing both had signed professional contracts? That’s how I understand it anyway

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely we have pre agreed Pro deals with both players then? Hence the club announcing both had signed professional contracts? That’s how I understand it anyway
I would think so, yes. I might not have been clear enough, they can agree a pro contract now to kick in when they turn 17. It is limited to a maximum of three years. When a player turns 18, the contract length agreed can be up to a maximum of five years.

Andy_H

Two excellent signing, these lads, and the like of that come along this year, next year, are the Future of ECFC, be that on the field or in the bank account.