• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
imho neither.

At the end of the day Saddam was a bad guy who needed to be gotten rid of. I know they couldn't just go in and do that and needed an excuse first, so I was ok with them bending the rules a little to achieve the goal.

I think what was more serious was Blair subsequently coming out saying - but that bloke Gadaffi, he's alright really. It undid everything that went before it re Iraq.
Thing with Saddam and Iraq was that it was being contained, After the 1991 war his ability to rage war against another country was diminished to almost zero, Yes he ruled with a rod of iron but can we honestly say the place is much safer since he was deposed? Killings are an almost daily occurrence still and there is the Shia/Sunni devide. The point was we went to war with Iraq because we were told Iraq had WMD and could hit the UK within 45 mins which was a blatant lie and because Blair and Bush believed a report that was done by a student, They found nothing, left a vacuum there which gave rise to ISIS, I really wouldn't call that "Bending the rules a little"

IndoMike

Thing with Saddam and Iraq was that it was being contained, After the 1991 war his ability to rage war against another country was diminished to almost zero, Yes he ruled with a rod of iron but can we honestly say the place is much safer since he was deposed? Killings are an almost daily occurrence still and there is the Shia/Sunni devide. The point was we went to war with Iraq because we were told Iraq had WMD and could hit the UK within 45 mins which was a blatant lie and because Blair and Bush believed a report that was done by a student, They found nothing, left a vacuum there which gave rise to ISIS, I really wouldn't call that "Bending the rules a little"
Have you noticed that the West.always is brave when it comes to attacking the minnows like Iraq and Serbia but no ballz at all when it comes to confronting China and Russia or any medium-sized power.

Alistair20000

Messing in the countries of others rarely turns out well. Sometimes it is entirely necessary with no other option available such as the total war waged in WWII against Nazi Germany and Japan.

Other incursions usually lead to mission creep, no thanks from the people in the country invaded and often even more chaos as the law of unintended consequences starts to apply.

Plenty of other bad bastards in the world apart from Saddam and nothing much is done against them.

I remain sceptical that the Iraq war was necessary and whether it has made things better. I accept an intellectual case could be made for the action even without the lies.

DB9

Have you noticed that the West.always is brave when it comes to attacking the minnows like Iraq and Serbia but no ballz at all when it comes to confronting China and Russia or any medium-sized power.
Yep, Two reasons, Nukes and Business. Serbia mind needed to be contained in respect of getting rid of their nationalists who had and were perpetrating awful war crimes in Kosovo, Croatia and Bosnia.

IndoMike

Yep, Two reasons, Nukes and Business. Serbia mind needed to be contained in respect of getting rid of their nationalists who had and were perpetrating awful war crimes in Kosovo, Croatia and Bosnia.
I agree about Serbia, but that wasn't my point. It's the same with the Crimes Against Humanity trials . Always Africans, never from anywhere else .

DB9

I agree about Serbia, but that wasn't my point. It's the same with the Crimes Against Humanity trials . Always Africans, never from anywhere else .
TBF Mike, Bosnian Serbs and Serbian leaders were convicted in The Hague on war crime charges and there have been a few nasty African leaders who've been tried there too on crimes against their people.

IndoMike

TBF Mike, Bosnian Serbs and Serbian leaders were convicted in The Hague on war crime charges and there have been a few nasty African leaders who've been tried there too on crimes against their people.
Yes, but there are many other non- African leaders who have committed crimes against humanity

Mr Jinx

Plenty of other bad bastards in the world apart from Saddam and nothing much is done against them.
Agree. You need to be consistent. Wrt Saddam, he should have in fact been taken out as a final part of the 91 gulf war.

DB9

Yes, but there are many other non- African leaders who have committed crimes against humanity
And are still in power and have no chance of ever being brought to Justice, Until they're deposed in some way (Like the Syrian leader) they won't ever face a court because normally bigger the powers are behind these leaders.

DB9

PM announces at PMQ's there will be an independent public inquiry into the handling of the Covid pandemic.