• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We know the club will back Taylor this summer. He probably knows he has to get the recruitment spot on, or he will be getting some serious stick from the fan base.

I suspect he’s already decided on his retained list and we should get news of that by the latter part of next week. He’s probably already started sounding out new players and it will be a very busy summer.

For me, this season has been a slog and Taylor and the players have faltered in the last few months. We have to move forward, get the pitch sorted and build a team that can play football on a better surface. Can Taylor do it? I am sceptical but as he’s obviously going to be here, I will get behind him.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Also, only Cambridge and Oldham scored more goals than us, so it's clearly not true that "'the football is awful to watch".

I'm sure some of our 'fans' would be happier supporting a Big Six club....or the Chiefs
Sorry Paperclip but a statement like that is uncalled for, People are just a bit disappointed and its very raw at the moment, They are just fans who like me for a while this season we played some real nice stuff and scored shedloads but since Xmas it has be frustrating to watch, Dropped points against teams we think we shouldn't have and players who were performing in the first half of the season went off the boil big time and it ended today with us missing out.

Give it a few weeks when things have died down, The retained list is released and hopefully new players coming and the biggest thing, Fans (Hopefully) being let back into the grounds next season, This will be forgotten. I'm happy i can watch all the divisional play offs as a total neutral and not like when we're in it, Curled up in the fetal position, nervous as hell then the utter disappointment of losing in the final, This season i can watch and enjoy them more relaxed.

Next season mind, With this expected bigger budget, Promotion has to be the target so any signings will have to be good ones and not journeymen sicknotes.

paperclip

Agree that the season has been disappointing. However, I don't think we have undeachieved. I believe this season has been PARR given the players and depth that we have had available. The manager may could have done better, but he also could have done worse. There was a real chance of a relegation fight this season, given the difficulties we had to deal with, but we have consistently been fighting at the top end of the season. Some perspective on this season would not go amiss.
Couldn't agree more with this. It was always going to be a season of transition, and the real positive is that many of our youngsters have now got a full season under their belts. Yes of course we could have done better, but the club will be in quite a strong financial position relative to other L2 clubs, so I'm optimistic for next season. Absolutely no need to call for the managers head like some seem to want to do.

paperclip

Sorry Paperclip but a statement like that is uncalled for, People are just a bit disappointed and its very raw at the moment, They are just fans who like me for a while this season we played some real nice stuff and scored shedloads but since Xmas it has be frustrating to watch, Dropped points against teams we think we shouldn't have and players who were performing in the first half of the season went off the boil big time and it ended today with us missing out.

Give it a few weeks when things have died down, The retained list is released and hopefully new players coming and the biggest thing, Fans (Hopefully) being let back into the grounds next season, This will be forgotten. I'm happy i can watch all the divisional play offs as a total neutral and not like when we're in it, Curled up in the fetal position, nervous as hell then the utter disappointment of losing in the final, This season i can watch and enjoy them more relaxed.

Next season mind, With this expected bigger budget, Promotion has to be the target so any signings will have to be good ones and not journeymen sicknotes.
Is it? Depends how you view it I suppose. A cursory glance at social media after EVERY game that City fail to win will quickly reveal there are individuals who seem to delight in calling for the managers head (and think it's amusing to do so). They were notably silent last Saturday when we turned Bolton over. If those fans can't comprehend that this season was always going to be tricky with the departure of so many experienced players then they probably are better off supporting a team with unlimited resources to spend on recruitment.

DB9

Is it? Depends how you view it I suppose. A cursory glance at social media after EVERY game that City fail to win will quickly reveal there are individuals who seem to delight in calling for the managers head (and think it's amusing to do so). They were notably silent last Saturday when we turned Bolton over. If those fans can't comprehend that this season was always going to be tricky with the departure of so many experienced players then they probably are better off supporting a team with unlimited resources to spend on recruitment.
SM is not the be all and end all, It is only a small minority who might think its funny calling for the manager's head. When City lose, I get really ****** off, I was worse when i was younger because my good lady knew that when i got home from a game I'd be in a foul mood, She use to look out for the results but i get over it, Just like those on SM. When you support a club its great when you win and hurts like hell when you lose and if people are going on about things when we lose its because they're fans, Just like you and i and support ECFC and probably have no desire to support a club with those unlimited rescourses. Like i said its raw now and after a nights sleep and some food/booze in their bellies they'll be fine.

IndoMike

Just to say I have never called for MT's head and have supported him to continue next season, BUT you can't expect all fans to be happy clappers all the time. It's normal that some fans get irate when they are disappointed and have a go at managers and players. Isn't one of the purposes of football for us blokes and lasses to release the stresses and strains of the working week at the footie match?
We're not zombies, you know. We have opinions, right or wrong. Doesn't mean you don't love your team if you have a go : just means that you want it to be better.

paperclip

Just to say I have never called for MT's head and have supported him to continue next season, BUT you can't expect all fans to be happy clappers all the time. It's normal that some fans get irate when they are disappointed and have a go at managers and players. Isn't one of the purposes of football for us blokes and lasses to release the stresses and strains of the working week at the footie match?
We're not zombies, you know. We have opinions, right or wrong. Doesn't mean you don't love your team if you have a go : just means that you want it to be better.
My comments weren't aimed at you Mike, and yes I also get disappointed when we lose, but equally I don't start calling for the managers head as soon as fail to win. Have a look at Facebook now if you want some examples of complete idiocy (and yes, I know Facebook isn't necessarily representative of the majority view).

raleighnc

I don’t think many if any call for the manager’s head ‘as soon as we fail to win’. MT has had three seasons and the tail end of this season has had a distinct feel of moving backwards about it. The lack of purpose and coherence in our football can only be down to MT and his coaching team. Time for a change.

IndoMike

My comments weren't aimed at you Mike, and yes I also get disappointed when we lose, but equally I don't start calling for the managers head as soon as fail to win. Have a look at Facebook now if you want some examples of complete idiocy (and yes, I know Facebook isn't necessarily representative of the majority view).
Yes, I know they weren't
I prefer not to look at Facebook, especially regarding footie, but I hear the comments can be too personally insulting. I imagine footballers and managers steer clear of SM.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly ironic that for a number of months we stayed on the edge of the playoffs not by our own efforts but due to the failings of others but today when it mattered most everyone of those under performers came up with the goods.

Bottom line to take only 17 points from the possible 42 available is atrocious, clear evidence that we are not good enough and certainly did not deserve a place in the playoffs.