• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If NHS nurses get a pay rise, then can patients left with debilitating untreated conditions due to cancelled ops and long waiting times get an equal amount in compensation? After all, we've done our bit for the NHS too.
I'm sure you can ask for the £3.50pw they'll get. Compensation is only given out for treatment that has gone wrong, Not for waiting for treatment, Which is annoying i grant you and will get worse but you have to look beyond the NHS for the delays and that fact those delays will get longer, Not the NHS or Nurses.

Legohead

Banned
Compensation is also for treatment that is not given at all, when it should have been and alternative arrangements that should have been made by the NHS, as per the NHS constitution is not provided.

DB9

Compensation is also for treatment that is not given at all, when it should have been and alternative arrangements that should have been made by the NHS, as per the NHS constitution is not provided.
But a delay is not that the treatment is not given, Its a delay.

IndoMike

Those are two issues which are not connected, Lego. Each one must be judged on its own merits. Indirectly pitting one group against another is not what we're looking for.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
If NHS nurses get a pay rise, then can patients left with debilitating untreated conditions due to cancelled ops and long waiting times get an equal amount in compensation? After all, we've done our bit for the NHS too.
Yes, bless you. Days, hours and weeks covered in PPE. Sores on your face from masks rubbing. Intubating, catheterising, cleaning, turning, feeding those most affected by Covid. Calling relatives, arranging final phone calls.

I can see how tough you've had it Lego.

Legohead

Banned
Those are two issues which are not connected, Lego. Each one must be judged on its own merits. Indirectly pitting one group against another is not what we're looking for.
I know they aren't connected. Just sounding off Mike. It makes me think that when recovered Covid patients are wheeled out of hospital and given rounds of applause by the nursing staff that maybe rounds of applause can also be given for people denied their hospital treatment to allow said Covid patient their treatment to be able to recover.

Each day that passes where people live in debilitating pain and mental stress due to being denied treatment so that the NHS can focus on Covid patients is equally as deserving of acknowledgement for the contribution this cohort of patients is making on behalf of the NHS and Covid patients.

Legohead

Banned
Yes, bless you. Days, hours and weeks covered in PPE. Sores on your face from masks rubbing. Intubating, catheterising, cleaning, turning, feeding those most affected by Covid. Calling relatives, arranging final phone calls.

I know. Thanks.

The point being, and that i've made is not that nurses don't deserve a pay rise, it's that many other people have suffered during this pandemic in various ways yet there is this emotional blackmail going on with the NHS. A point that many seem to miss and prefer to use sarcasm instead of using an alternative view of looking at things which they seem incapable of doing.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing of the sort Lego.

Emotional blackmail? Give it a break. You always turn everything around so that it's about you, and how hard done by you are.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster

If we want this to turn into a ******* contest then yeah it’s been a doddle for my Dad, unable to walk as he’s waiting for a hip replacement, mentally and physically descending into misery as his op gets pushed further and further back.

But so long as those with secure jobs and gold plated pensions get their payrise then marvellous. God bless the saintly NHS and damn those who dare criticise it in any way to hell. What time are we out clapping?

IndoMike

I know they aren't connected. Just sounding off Mike. It makes me think that when recovered Covid patients are wheeled out of hospital and given rounds of applause by the nursing staff that maybe rounds of applause can also be given for people denied their hospital treatment to allow said Covid patient their treatment to be able to recover.

Each day that passes where people live in debilitating pain and mental stress due to being denied treatment so that the NHS can focus on Covid patients is equally as deserving of acknowledgement for the contribution this cohort of patients is making on behalf of the NHS and Covid patients.
Yep, I realise you were sounding off, Lego : you sound off even more than I do 😆 😆.
It must be hard for the hundreds of thousand of folks who have been waiting for consultations, scans, operations and or treatment. It's a little bit
difficult for me to empathise because I live in a country where covid impact has been relatively limited (although still too many have died) and my life has not had to change too much.
But the aforementioned problems are nothing to do with the nurses and other hospital workers, who have always been praised for their courage and dedication.
Especially in the early days, can you imagine going to work when you knew you would be working with highly contagious patients but with minimal protection? Many nurses couldn't even go home to their families because of the fear of spreading the disease. I'm sure you get this, and I'm not trying to lecture you. But it's important to separate issues
so that it doesn't look like we're criticising one group to justify highlighting the problems of another.
Anyway, you have to hang on in there, Lego : I feel the worst is over.