• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't this the film where Olivier was concerned at the extremes the method-actor Hoffman went to? (DH had gone without sleep for days, preparing for a scene.)

"Why don't you just try acting, dear boy?"

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wasn't this the film where Olivier was concerned at the extremes the method-actor Hoffman went to? (DH had gone without sleep for days, preparing for a scene.)

That's the one

Tim Long

Indeed. And Hoffmann is keen that people should realise it was said as a joke, not a criticism.

Alistair20000

I loved this line from Marathon Man:

Szell to Janeway:

Thus far, I find you rather detestable. May I say that without hurting your feelings ?

angelic upstart

Has anyone mentioned Prince Andrew?

contrabombarde

Showing my age now but does anyone remember broken glass cemented in tops of walls?

Can't remember when it became illegal though.

Oldsmobile-88

Coin slot gas & electric meters.

They were 10p slots when I started 😁 Then 50p & finally £1.Phased out around 1995(Gas)

Some households wanted the rate set high(paying too much)so that they would get a rebate when the meters were emptied every 3 months.
It was a way of saving for those people without bank accounts.

A £1 slot meter could hold over £300 when full,so there was a risk of theft,one of the reasons they were phased out(The householder was liable for any loss)

IndoMike

Showing my age now but does anyone remember broken glass cemented in tops of walls?

Can't remember when it became illegal though.
In Indonesia you still see it.
I suppose they stopped it because potential murderers, robbers and rapists could sue the owners of the property if they got a fragment of glass stuck in their
iddy biddy fingers :rolleyes: .
PS. Does look ugly, though.

Colesman Ballz

Was a useful first line of defence against the neighbour's feckin cat $hitting in your garden too ! :D

Banksy

Record listening booths .B47E4D96-D818-447C-8DD7-B48B61A60D01.jpeg