• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow v Exeter Matchday Thread (take 2) - GAME OFF

ChardGrecian

Did the ref pass it fit at 12:00 and 4 ? If so I really hope some-one holds him to account. Feel for all at the club including Craig who have had to travel all the way up there for nothing twice now. Does anyone know if Barrow have to pay our costs?

older-codger

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have realised, as I said earlier, that if a pitch was in doubt at 1pm then there was no way it would be playable when the temperature dropped later. It's about time that those responsible for the fixture lists woke up and recognised that games in the North of England are likely to be affected by the weather in Jan/Feb and kept travel times to those games at a minimum. Keep those months for teams in the North, not for teams that have to travel 100's of miles.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is simply not acceptable, especially given the distance involved. The EFL should ask some searching questions and ensure lessons are learnt from this farce
More chance of Ajose hitting 20 goals before the season ends.

I agree with the sentiment though.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feel for all at the club including Craig who have had to travel all the way up there for nothing twice now.
First time it was called off before we travelled.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
First time it was called off before we travelled.
They had got as far as Birmingham & were going to stay overnight before the Saturday game.Craig got as far as Gordano.

Arthur Davey

What a complete and utter bollox of a farcical job 😠. Really feel for all who've had to lop up there and back on a totally predictable fool's errand. And don't get me started on the EFL'S wonderful fixture-generating computer program. FFS

Oldsmobile-88

As
What a complete and utter bollox of a farcical job 😠. Really feel for all who've had to lop up there and back on a totally predictable fool's errand. And don't get me started on the EFL'S wonderful fixture-generating computer program. FFS
As I mentioned earlier in the thread,it was unwise given the distance & time of year to rearranging this fixture so quickly.

Grecian2K

Does anyone know if Barrow have to pay our costs?
Good question. Rule 28.5 seems to cover this (especially as we are more than 5 hours from Barrow)
28.5 When a League Match is postponed or abandoned the Visiting Club shall be entitled to receive from the Home Club out of the gate of either game, one set of travelling and/or hotel expenses (at the rate and as determined by The League from time to time) necessarily incurred by a party not exceeding twenty four and which in the opinion of The League are caused solely by the postponement or abandonment. This amount shall be a charge against the gate when calculating the 3% levy under Article 36. A Club shall only be entitled to claim hotel expenses where it would be necessary or desirable for the Visiting Club to leave its headquarters before 9am on the day of the match, alternatively, not be possible to arrive back at its headquarters within five hours travelling time, including a stop of not more than 30 minutes, of the conclusion of the League Match.
However the devil in this particular detail is that the refund comes from the GATE MONEY. (Which, in the present circumstances is an echoingly empty pot). What, if any, alternative arrangements the EFL have put in place is anybody's guess...but I wouldn't be holding my breath. I reckon that one of Philip Green's unsecured creditors has a better chance of seeing a pay cheque that us.

carlislefan

If Exeter were already up there, why couldn’t they have gone for an early kick off eg 3pm like Carlisle attempted?
As has been said, no matter what the location, planning long travels is pretty stupid in winter months. We had a fantastic geo fleece that prevented postponement in all but severest ice, but it got washed away in the last flood we had😂
No idea why it want replaced with the insurance money😉😂

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
They had got as far as Birmingham & were going to stay overnight before the Saturday game.Craig got as far as Gordano.
Wasn't aware of that. Club statement at the time made it sound like they hadn't set off.