• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow v Exeter Matchday Thread (take 2) - GAME OFF

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Fingers crossed for Oldham on Saturday. We had a bit of momentum going.

Legohead

Banned
So who do we hold accountable for this?

As i posted earlier, anyone with half a brain could have known that the temperature was forecast to not get above freezing all day / night. So therefore, as the pitch was unplayable at 12pm then this was not going to improve without significant assistance from the heaters at Barrow.

So, did Barrow officials convince the ref that they could get the pitch playable in time for kick off and the ref bought it?

It's a puzzle, but either way - someone needs taking round the back of a disused pub and given a good leathering.

Either the ref is so unbelievably dumb that he shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car let alone ref a football match.

OR

The ref was given assurances by the Barrow officials that they could get the pitch to playable standards in time for the game.

Answers on a postcard please.

Are the lads staying over tonight? Couldn't the game be played tomorrow dinnertime / early afternoon? Pitch permitting.

All in all some t*t has ruined my evening and i want to know who.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We had a bit of momentum going.
So did Jezza Corbyn...for a while. :p

Pete Martin (CTID)

Referee: "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure".

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolute Tinpot

Grecian2K

Now now Leggsy. I feel your pain but at least the lads have had a nice little day out in glorious Lakeland - a luxury denied to most of us mere mortals during the current lockdown restrictions. :D

carlislefan

So did we a few weeks ago. Now we have 5 games in hand on Cambridge, 6 points behind. What position would Yu rather have?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
So who do we hold accountable for this?

As i posted earlier, anyone with half a brain could have known that the temperature was forecast to not get above freezing all day / night. So therefore, as the pitch was unplayable at 12pm then this was not going to improve without significant assistance from the heaters at Barrow.

So, did Barrow officials convince the ref that they could get the pitch playable in time for kick off and the ref bought it?

It's a puzzle, but either way - someone needs taking round the back of a disused pub and given a good leathering.

Either the ref is so unbelievably dumb that he shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car let alone ref a football match.

OR

The ref was given assurances by the Barrow officials that they could get the pitch to playable standards in time for the game.

Answers on a postcard please.

Are the lads staying over tonight? Couldn't the game be played tomorrow dinnertime / early afternoon? Pitch permitting.

All in all some t*t has ruined my evening and i want to know who.
Who did the earlier inspections? Was it 5he match referee or some local league ref drafted in by Barrow who didn't have the balls to make the decision?

Oldsmobile-88

I think we all expected a postponement given the freezing weather combined with it being a evening KO.

It would have been easy to call it off at midday but then many would have said that was too early to make that call..

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good question. Rule 28.5 seems to cover this (especially as we are more than 5 hours from Barrow)

However the devil in this particular detail is that the refund comes from the GATE MONEY. (Which, in the present circumstances is an echoingly empty pot). What, if any, alternative arrangements the EFL have put in place is anybody's guess...but I wouldn't be holding my breath. I reckon that one of Philip Green's unsecured creditors has a better chance of seeing a pay cheque that us.
Am I missing something here?? In normal times there wouldn't be any gate money for a game that is called off? OK pre-booked tickets excepted.