• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Maxted or Ward

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure Bitts got sent off for catching the ball outside of the box. Handling the ball outside of the box whilst clearing from your hands has never been a red card offence that I can recall.
Could have been in the past, in theory, but unlikely. It would depend on the refs deciding this was "deliberate handball" and seeking to gain an unfair advantage. Catching the ball outside the area is clearly deliberate !

Not in the current Laws of the Game.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure Bitts got sent off for catching the ball outside of the box. Handling the ball outside of the box whilst clearing from your hands has never been a red card offence that I can recall.
I think it got rescinded although whether for not being outside (it was very marginal) or not being a goal scoring opportunity (it definitely wasn't) I do not recall. It was a home game against Hereford and having the red rescinded allowed him to play in the away game on NYD...when he got sent off 🤦

andrew p long

There were a few terrible applications of that rule. In one game (not City, Aston Villa?) a keeper got sent off after collecting the ball yards inside the area but the momentum of his slide took him forward.

the referee decided that catching the ball in the area and accidentally then sliding out of it merited a sending off. Crass application of the rules. Especially when the replays showed that he hadn't handled outside the area anyway...

grecianstew

I think it is when “preventing a goal scoring opportunity” that can still result in a red card!

Topsham Boy

Ward.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It looks as if this thread has now come to a juddering halt with confirmation today Ward going on loan for the rest of the season to Pompey.....certainly one from out of the blue.

Banksy

Now all we want is Ajose to Swindon and we’ll be minted.

Red Devon

Now all we want is Ajose to Swindon and we’ll be minted.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him scoring wherever he goes 😌

Ex-ciderrr

It looks as if this thread has now come to a juddering halt with confirmation today Ward going on loan for the rest of the season to Pompey.....certainly one from out of the blue.
didnt see that coming at all...

Banksy

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him scoring wherever he goes 😌
Yes , probably make you right on that.Guess we’ll never get to the heart of the Ajose mystery not being party to the shenanigans going on behind the scenes.