• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Maxted or Ward

Flackmeister

Who should be first choice keeper?

Maxted makes some good saves, though I think a lot of goals we have conceded since he’s been back in the team could have been avoided if he was more proactive in coming off his line.

We often play quite a high defensive line, and this would suit a modern “sweeper keeper” with a higher starting position, who is quick to anticipate through balls and cut them out.

Both goals we conceded against Morecambe tonight could have been avoided with a keeper being closer to the edge of the box and coming out quickly.

Maybe time to give Ward another run in the team.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I like them both for this level, but have always considered Ward to shade it, and still do

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
In my opinion Ward has more attributes to be our number 1.

ryancooper327

Ward.

wiveygrecian

Ward for me , as a sweeper keeper by far the better one . Could have done better with both goals tonight

Rosencrantz

I refer to the answer on the match day thread.

(Ward for those who missed it 😉).

StudentGrecian

Ward when he first joined was way ahead, but hasn't been the same since his injury. Ward would still shade it on recent form for me though.
But neither seem to be able to do much about our woeful defending.

PeteUSA

Ward by a country mile for me over Maxted, even though he's never regained his form of last season. Ward has his weaknesses, particularly standing up to players who are clean through on him, but that seems to be a general modern day weakness amongst keepers at the highest level. It appears that gone are the days when keepers would throw their bodies across an approaching player, opting instead to come out studs first (seldom works), or go down in 'splits' fashion, doing their best to protect the family jewels!

Ward isnt much better in that department, generally choosing to dive across a player leaving a trailing leg (or two) in a players path, in the hope they'll block the ball; It very seldom works, and a forward soon realises he has an open goal!

Back to Maxted though: I honestly dont think he's any better than National League standard. Maybe he cant help it, but he always appears to be disinterested, as well as not very fit. He has no spring in his step, and is generally a lethargic keeper who doesnt inspire his defence. In the Morecambe game, that penalty he gave away was really awful, and showed his lack of courage (for want of a better word). There was a point with that through ball where he could have been sharper off of his line and dropped to block the ball with his body in ample time. Instead he just shuffled out and deliberately tripped the player? Then their second, he obviously assumed he would be dealing with a harder shot along the ground, so lacked commitment when the ball was half hit! Very poor.

So Ward for me.

IndoMike

Waxted.

PeteUSA

Highlights, for anybody who can stand it!