• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archie Collins

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
3 players are in the running for player of the season for me: Randall, Jay and Collins.
Key should be in there.

I think Jake Taylor is above Collins as well.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Collins still gets bullied when we play against bigger, tougher sides. He lacks physicality and urgency often getting caught out in dangerous areas.

He's a decent league 2 midfielder at the moment, nothing more.

I think he'd really struggle in league 1 and talk of him playing in the championship any time soon is pure fantasy.

Key (as a right back / wing back) and Randall are the big assets.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's a big difference between the positions and roles played by Xavi and Pirlo and that of Michael Carrick. As I understand it, Grimes's current role at Swansea fits more the Carrick one, which he never played in for us.
I think we will be disagreeing on this 🙂.

They are all deep lying playmakers who transition the ball from defence to attack, switch play, often one and two touch. They also have the ability to spot and ping a pass long distance. They also screened the defence more by interception and positioning than by tackling. They might have had more physical or dynamic presence alongside in midfield (Busquets for example) but their main job was to be the conduit through which the ball was kept moving and directing play.

Grimes played in that exact role for us, as did Gilly and Noble before him. Tis made a point of playing Oakley and Butterfield in centre defence at times to give Grimes better quality possession from the back. Grimes never played as an attacking midfielder for us.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rosencrantz is spot on here.

Grimes was pulling the strings from deep, he didn't play as attacking midfielder for us.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always find it interesting that Matt Grimes was basically turned into a holding midfield player by Swansea even though he's very creative. Ollie Watkins has been made an out-and-out striker now, which was never his role with us either. Ethan is now a centre-back for Sheffield United.
You are wrong.

Grimes did play deep for us. Watkins did at times play as an out and out striker and should have done even more. Ampadu played centre back for us.

tonykellowfan

Collins still gets bullied when we play against bigger, tougher sides. He lacks physicality and urgency often getting caught out in dangerous areas.

He's a decent league 2 midfielder at the moment, nothing more.

I think he'd really struggle in league 1 and talk of him playing in the championship any time soon is pure fantasy.

Key (as a right back / wing back) and Randall are the big assets.
I think Collins is better than "decent league 2" player but I agree he is nowhere near Championship standard. I hope we go up this season and he has a chance next year to show what he can do in league 1.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Collins is better than "decent league 2" player but I agree he is nowhere near Championship standard. I hope we go up this season and he has a chance next year to show what he can do in league 1.
Is correct

Albumen

Is correct
My only worry about him is pace - and not just from a to b. I think more often than not it’s the dynamic players that make the easier transition up the leagues.

But you don’t score a pair of screamers like that if you’re just ‘a decent league 2 player’. And he’s one of our own! Joyous.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are turning out players that are so well-educated they can adapt to new roles
Either that, or we were never playing them in their best position to start with.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
My only worry about him is pace - and not just from a to b. I think more often than not it’s the dynamic players that make the easier transition up the leagues.

But you don’t score a pair of screamers like that if you’re just ‘a decent league 2 player’. And he’s one of our own! Joyous.
Hiram Boateng scored a couple of wonder goals. He was massively overrated by many on here (as is often the case), he's done very little over the last two seasons and was shipped out very quickly by Tisdale's replacement at MK Dons. He's a decent league 2 player.

Collins needs to improve a lot to step up the levels.