• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

Not a question of hindsight..

3 March 2020: “Prime Minister Boris Johnson said… that Coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated” (Reuters). During a press conference, Johnson said that “our country remains extremely well prepared. We already have a fantastic NHS, fantastic testing systems and fantastic surveillance of the spread of disease”. However, “the upbeat tone of that briefing stood in sharp contrast with the growing unease of many of the Government’s scientific advisers behind th3 March 2020: “Prime Minister Boris Johnson said… that Coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated” (Reuters). During a press conference, Johnson said that “our country remains extremely well prepared. We already have a fantastic NHS, fantastic testing systems and fantastic surveillance of the spread of disease”. However, “the upbeat tone of that briefing stood in sharp contrast with the growing unease of many of the Government’s scientific advisers behind the scenes. They were already convinced that Britain was on the brink of a disastrous outbreak”. (Reuters)e scenes. They were already convinced that Britain was on the brink of a disastrous outbreak”. (Reuters)

Legohead

Banned
Typical doom mongering media again. The BBC leading the news last night with the new variant being more 'deadly' than the previous.

Then they went to say that whilst the previous variant kills roughly 10 in 10,000 over 60's, the new variant kills about 13 in every 10,000 over 60's.

Tragic for those concerned, and they are technically correct but it's hardly massively more deadly.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
3 March 2020: “Prime Minister Boris Johnson said… that Coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated” (Reuters). During a press conference, Johnson said that “our country remains extremely well prepared. We already have a fantastic NHS, fantastic testing systems and fantastic surveillance of the spread of disease”. However, “the upbeat tone of that briefing stood in sharp contrast with the growing unease of many of the Government’s scientific advisers behind th3 March 2020: “Prime Minister Boris Johnson said… that Coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated” (Reuters). During a press conference, Johnson said that “our country remains extremely well prepared. We already have a fantastic NHS, fantastic testing systems and fantastic surveillance of the spread of disease”. However, “the upbeat tone of that briefing stood in sharp contrast with the growing unease of many of the Government’s scientific advisers behind the scenes. They were already convinced that Britain was on the brink of a disastrous outbreak”. (Reuters)e scenes. They were already convinced that Britain was on the brink of a disastrous outbreak”. (Reuters)
But that was March. So what? Seriously, so what? Our understanding has moved on a very long way and there is still plenty to learn.

IndoMike

But that was March. So what? Seriously, so what? Our understanding has moved on a very long way and there is still plenty to learn.
You have to read the article attached to understand the lack of action. It's about pre- March onwards, not just post- March. Seriously.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You have to read the article attached to understand the lack of action. It's about pre- March onwards, not just post- March. Seriously.
I think we all know that things should have been done differently, but we are where we are.

Nice editing after I commented on your post.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Typical doom mongering media again. The BBC leading the news last night with the new variant being more 'deadly' than the previous.

Then they went to say that whilst the previous variant kills roughly 10 in 10,000 over 60's, the new variant kills about 13 in every 10,000 over 60's.

Tragic for those concerned, and they are technically correct but it's hardly massively more deadly.
All the British papers have carried the story, not just the BBC. They're all quoting the PM.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The problem with scientists is that they are ultra cautious and if they had there way no one would be allowed to get out of bed every day,there has to be a balance otherwise this country is well and truly screwed!
We need an exit strategy from lockdown, as we need to give some hope to people and businesses. Keeping us in lockdown because some 20% of people won't take the vaccine will not go down well with those that have followed the rules!

IndoMike

I think we all know that things should have been done differently, but we are where we are.

I didn't edit after you posted. I was copying and pasting two different things WHILE you posted. If you know a way to copy and paste two different things simultaneously please let me know.

IndoMike

Yes, we are where we are . The Lancet, an internationally renowned medical journal as I imagine you know, thinks the reason why we need a public enquiry is to find out exactly what went wrong and try to fix it.
Another polemic is the 12-week delay in implementing the follow-up jab, whereas most experts as far as I can see and the manufacturers and the WHO are concerned about this It should be 4 weeks.. All of this has an impact on how long the lockdown must last.

tavyred

After getting through the first wave with around 10K deaths, Germany yesterday goes past 50K.
How can a country and a leader (she’s a former chemist y’know!🙄) after getting it so right first time round, get it so wrong this time?
I suspect other factors are way more in play other than the nuanced timings of bleddy lockdowns by politicians.
BTW, when do we start blaming Biden for the US’s 8K daily deaths? Is that the way this works?