• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
If this is what being "triggered" is, then I'm a banana

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh FFS I'm going to feed the troll after all

I made the observation (18324) that Every time I see a photograph of a government minister in their office, there are normally two large union flags prominently displayed. I'm sure this never used to be the case ...

AU and others suggested this was not uncommon and gave various examples. I then showed pictures of Chancellors Brown and Clarke making Budget broadcasts with no flags in sight which contrasted with Sunak merely working in his office (not making an official statement to the nation) with two large union flags prominent.

It is therefore clearly demonstrated that it is indeed the case that ministers' offices were not adorned with union flags until relatively recently. This, my dear Tavy, is a simple statement of fact - no triggering involved.

What I went on to say, in the bit of my post you said you couldn't understand, is that my concern is not whether people display flags or not (that's entirely up to them), but what happens when people choose not to. If person A chooses to display a flag (or poppy) and person B chooses not to, that should not be used to judge whether person A is more patriotic/is more respectful of The Fallen, than person B. However, my fear is that this ostentatious displaying of the union flag by the Brexit/Johnson government is designed to achieve precisely that judging.

If this is what being "triggered" is, then I'm a banana
Well then Mr Fyffe, where do we start with that old load of robblocks. 😀
You posted three random photo’s which to you suggested that this Government has taken to adorning their offices with Union flags whereas in the past government ministers never used to.
If you can’t see what a ridiculous and unfounded correlation you’ve made there then perhaps you are a banana. It’s not that I don’t understand the point your making it’s that it’s a totally bogus scenario you cite and does nothing but betray your antipathy to overt displays of the British state.
Even if it were true, which I doubt, what possible problem with would any sane person have with the “ostentatious displaying of the Union flag” anyway, the only person I can see who would have problem with it would the aforementioned person who gets triggered by their own flag.
I hate to break it to you but as someone who worked in Government buildings for over 30 years, many are fair stuffed to the gunnels with “ostentatious displays” of flags and other such stuff which tells the employee and the visitor alike that the work done there is for the nation.
Grow up man.

tavyred

The latest musings of Paul Embery.

Mr Jinx

Embery nails it yet again.

Choice excerpts:

Think kids are better off through being raised by two parents? Not terribly keen on Black Lives Matter? Support proper control of immigration? Don’t believe a man is a woman just because he says he is? Then, in the minds of many on today’s Left, you belong in the basket with all the other deplorables, and the debate should go no further. It is irrelevant that such views still hold currency across much of the land. Liberal-progressive types always know better.

This modern Left inhabits a world of safe spaces, echo chambers and group-think.

arthur

Embery nails it yet again.

Choice excerpts:

Think kids are better off through being raised by two parents? Not terribly keen on Black Lives Matter? Support proper control of immigration? Don’t believe a man is a woman just because he says he is? Then, in the minds of many on today’s Left, you belong in the basket with all the other deplorables, and the debate should go no further. It is irrelevant that such views still hold currency across much of the land. Liberal-progressive types always know better.

This modern Left inhabits a world of safe spaces, echo chambers and group-think.
"The modern left". This tarring of everyone to the left of David Cameron with the same brush is as baseless and unwarranted as saying that everyone who voted to leave the EU is a thick racist.

Articles like this are designed to make its authors and readers feel better, rather than throw any light on the complexities of the diverse society we live in.

arthur

Unherd mission statement

As you may have guessed from our strange spelling, UnHerd aims to do two things: to push back against the herd mentality with new and bold thinking, and to provide a platform for otherwise unheard ideas, people and places.

You could have fooled me. Push back against herd mentality? Just a different herd, that's all. New and bold thinking? Where?

fred binneys head

Since when is wanting control over immigration and being sceptical of trans rights “new and bold thinking”, or even “pushing back against the herd”? Someone’s got a high opinion of themselves.

You could argue those people arguing for trans rights are the ones with new and bold thinking and pushing back against the herd.

The way the author has framed the opinions that the left is allegedly against is so leading it’s embarrassing. Still, he nails it for Jinxy. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

tavyred

I don’t think unherd’s mission statement is directly applicable to every issue in every article they publish chaps.
That said, a dyed in the wool Union activist flagging up how socially conservative a lot of working class voters are could be seen as new and bold thinking for someone so deeply embedded in the Labour movement.

Grecian2K

elginCity

“It does leave one wondering why, if these people are so inherently right, they feel a constant need to wield pitchforks and hurl abuse at opponents rather than attempt to win them over through the power of argument.”

“I’m unlikely to lose any sleep over the brickbats chucked by petulant student revolutionaries and latte-sipping bourgeois bohemians tapping furiously on their smartphones.”

You were saying ? 🤣