• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t think unherd’s mission statement is directly applicable to every issue in every article they publish chaps.
That said, a dyed in the wool Union activist flagging up how socially conservative a lot of working class voters are could be seen as new and bold thinking for someone so deeply embedded in the Labour movement.
You obviously haven't met many dyed in the wool trades union activists then!

And here's a history lesson for you

angelic upstart

Let's be honest, the UK is only popular for EU citizens is for money and that the larger conurbations are a melting pot. I’ve a number of friends that work and live abroad, mainly for the money.

Re being progressive, this has happened throughout time and will continue to do so, the older people will be bewildered by it, and the young folk who never left their hometowns will fear it. It’s just slightly more out there now as information is at peoples fingertips and the algorithms will target you if you’re susceptible to any particularly political leaning.

Oldsmobile-88

Let's be honest, the UK is only popular for EU citizens is for money and that the larger conurbations are a melting pot.
I would not say ONLY popular for the money AU,other factors include,despite what some may think,it’s a pretty welcoming & liberal country by most yard sticks in Europe.
The vast majority of the population in the UK do not subscribe to the xenophobia that was/is whipped up to sell newspapers(guess who)

angelic upstart

You’re right, our language is the second most spoken second language, which is clearly a driver as well. The UK is mostly a decent place to live, the weather isn’t the best, but you can’t have it all. The UK is mostly welcoming, and is a great place.
I still think that most EU working migrants are here for the money mostly though.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
You’re right, our language is the second most spoken second language, which is clearly a driver as well. The UK is mostly a decent place to live, the weather isn’t the best, but you can’t have it all. The UK is mostly welcoming, and is a great place.
I still think that most EU working migrants are here for the money mostly though.
We are generally welcoming, open, tolerant and despite all the grumbles, the standard of living isn't bad. Wages are higher but housing is expensive.
The 'English' thing is a massive draw.

London (and yes I know London does not = UK) is drier than Amsterdam, Barcelona, Lisbon, Milan, Paris and Rome.

arthur

I've never been a fan of the "constituency first" approach which seems to be an increasingly common position amongst MPs elected this century. "My first loyalty is to my constituents/my constituents will always come first" smacks a bit of Populism Lite.

Now it appears that Michael Gove shares these doubts, given what he's written in The Times this morning:

Mr Gove said that MPs should not fall for “comfortable evasions” that things were now different or put their constituencies ahead of the national interest. “When the country is facing such a national crisis, the truth is that all of us who have been elected to parliament, not just ministers, must take responsibility for difficult decisions,” he writes.

Couldn't agree more Mikey :)

Oldsmobile-88

SNP Conference starts today.

Just seen the BBC report on it.The reporter in Edinburgh mentioned the high death rates in Scotland from Covid compared to most European countries,Wales & NI,of course no mention that it was worse than Englands as well.

IndoMike

Thank God the Guardian is here to continue its investigate journalism, to delve into the Tory Govt cronyism, and to vainly attempt to.keep this Govt. honest. This is a public service that several other newspapers should emulate rather than act as a sycophantic mouthpiece for Johnson et al - although even some of these are gradually finding it too difficult to defend the indefensible : credibility still needs to count.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thank God the Guardian is here to continue its investigate journalism, to delve into the Tory Govt cronyism, and to vainly attempt to.keep this Govt. honest. This is a public service that several other newspapers should emulate rather than act as a sycophantic mouthpiece for Johnson et al - although even some of these are gradually finding it too difficult to defend the indefensible : credibility still needs to count.
And it's bullying out of a long-standing journalist who dared to raise some questions regarding how the word 'female' is applied.

There isn't much sycophantic slavering of Johnson in the papers today.

IndoMike

And it's bullying out of a long-standing journalist who dared to raise some questions regarding how the word 'female' is applied.

There isn't much sycophantic slavering of Johnson in the papers today.
First Paragraph. : Bullying is never good and they should apologize and cut it out.
But to clutch at straws at one example which I knew somebody would raise and which shows that they are not perfect does not nullify all the scrutinization they carry out.
Regarding your second paragraph , maybe you didn't read my last sentence carefully. I did say that some of the pro-Johnson press are beginning to see the light, as are some of our pro-Tory posters/apologists.👍Keep up.the good work.

Last edited: