• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Oldham Official match day thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
That is the where the "proven" stuff started and is what I was referring to.

With regards to Hartridge today, he is good on the ball and has a decent left foot however I'm not convinced by him as a defender, as Matty Taylor said in his post match interview he had very little defending to do in the second half as we were dominating the ball.
You still bit on a little fishing attempt on this thread though 😉

Again, Alex could only do what was in front of him today and did it largely well. It wouldn't have decreased his chances of Matt playing him again to give another opportunity to "prove" himself at this level.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to Hartridge today, he is good on the ball and has a decent left foot however I'm not convinced by him as a defender, as Matty Taylor said in his post match interview he had very little defending to do in the second half as we were dominating the ball.
Agreed. He got done far too easily in a one on one situation in the second half from which Oldham nearly scored from, and was also badly at fault for Fylde's opener a fortnight ago.

I think Dyer and Dean look more promising.

Trapdoor

"this is our problem" - not shooting from 40 yards?! I don't think that's high up the priority list
I'm not saying we should attempt 30-40 yarders. But Nicky Law passed the ball straight to the wall on the edge of the box today and they nearly scored off the counter.
Add to that the multiple wasted corners and short corners, all of which could be good opportunities but currently are being wasted.

Grecian Max

I'm not saying we should attempt 30-40 yarders. But Nicky Law passed the ball straight to the wall on the edge of the box today and they nearly scored off the counter.
Add to that the multiple wasted corners and short corners, all of which could be good opportunities but currently are being wasted.
Most of our corners went straight into the box (with Law standing and watching as a pointless decoy)? Sparkes is better at them than RW thats for sure

Grecian Max

I also can't think of a free kick we had today that we should have been shooting from?

grecIAN Harris

Just seen the goals and I have to be honest and say I'm little concerned about how flat The Iceman was diving for two efforts that were well off of the deck. He seemed to be diving for shots that were two or three foot off tge floor rather than one six, seven foot up.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit harsh from Taylor saying the goalie should have saved the free-kick.

Grecianpasty

What a freak game. Reminded me of the grimsby at home game last year. 1 of our 3 defeats at home whilst MT has been in charge. That's some statistic.

Jokull will be kicking himself for letting in that free kick. I can only think that the attempt took him by surprise and he wasn't prepared for it. No excuse of course.

We move on but I'm expecting a brutal performance on Tuesday, both ruthless and rugid.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a freak game. Reminded me of the grimsby at home game last year. 1 of our 3 defeats at home whilst MT has been in charge. That's some statistic.
It would be if it was anywhere near accurate.

Detail certainly isn't a strong point for you is it.

denzel

I also can't think of a free kick we had today that we should have been shooting from?
No but the point is do we do this in other games? And it can't be a coincidence that they had 4 or 5 from that range, and we had none.