• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leyton Orient v Exeter City Matchday Thread - 1900

ecfc-boy

Why is Randell Williams undropble he’s been shit every game this season and why is he taking corners it either hit the first man or far too deep. Today he even kicked it straight out before getting to the first man

rooecfc

randell neeeds to be dropped for randall, at least for a few games. give caprice and key another chance as that looks exciting

Good point that. Williams needs to improve fast though, not really sure his all round game is worthy of a start at the moment-would rather see the other Randle. Really impressed with Taylor at the moment-thats what hes very good at, at this level-bursting into the box.

tonykellowfan

Probably a draw was a fair result. We looked much better in the second half, we need to have the confidence to pass the ball around and stop booting it up field all the time.

We also need to urgently practice crossing, it really is a basic skill for a professional footballer. Sparkes and Williams especially seem unable to consistently cross the ball into the right area.

tonykellowfan

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As far as I was concerned that was two points dropped, Orient were there for the taking, they could possibly consider themselves lucky to have played us at this stage of the season, as the season progresses I think we could set the league alight with the options we have up front.

On the right Key was outstanding shame about the miss but he got in the position and lovely through ball by Bowman after a good lay off interception by Jay, would have been a cracker. Key or should I say Kay (F****ng useless commentators) hasn't had the opportunity to work with Caprice so far this season but once they get that understanding they will be lethal. Caprice did okay but still has a long way to go to be the player I remember at Tranmere when we played them, but then he has had a number of games fewer than everyone else

Then we look at our left hand side and we have a contrast which shouldn't be there, Randel is almost like Ajose at the moment apart from getting pitch time, he doesn't inspire me there is no committed effort or linking with Sparkes, his crossing has been generally abysmal which was his forte last season, and shooting soft. Sparkes seems scared to take on his man and will cross at the earliest opportunity, defensively I thought he did okay, there were a couple of occasions when the opposition got the better of him and likewise when he stifled their attacks, but as someone else has mentioned the clearing out of defence was poor.

What I did notice last night and this is the bit which excites me is that both wingers were coming in field a lot more to make themselves available and support Bowman and Jay, and once this understanding works it could prove invaluable. Bowman had a carp first half and was up to his current season standard in winning (or lack of) challenges with the central defenders, but second half he improved immensely. What he does bring to the game is not goals as everyone would hope for but he ties up two defenders in the game allowing those around him to capitalise - Randall 4 Jay 4 and Taylor 3. If Williams was on song like last year when sides were having to put two onto him, then these two players would effectively occupy 4 of the opposition defenders, for the others like Jay Collins Taylor Randall and Key to exploit. If not Williams this year it could be Randall or Key but it does look promising.

Lovely goal by Taylor and once he settled down had a solid game, I do think that he needs to watch his initial 'enthusiasm' as in some matches it could lead to a yellow card. Collins was largely anonymous on the screen last night but we did appear to be missing out the midfield a lot with our clearances, which we would do with that setup. Hard to comment on the central defenders as Orient were generally restricted to long range punts but apart from the goal where Sweeney seemed unaware of the man behind him they marshalled their line well.

The goalie despite Pete's initial gripe did alright good solid punch and a couple of catches but again Orient didn't really test him which is why I thought it was a missed opportunity.

We also need to practice all of our deadball scenarios from Corners to free kicks because at the moment when we get one awarded I have no expectations

Three final points, as someone else has already mentioned I thought the referee was poor and is probably married to Marge being a Homer. Seemed to blow up for every 50:50 in favour of Orient and didn't even allow advantage. Why did Matt make the substitution with only 10 minutes left, should have been made earlier on 60 or 70 for Joel to affect the game, and finally as mentioned above I thought the commentators were appalling, referred to us as Torquay on one occasion, going on about 360's when as already mentioned it was 180, continuously referred to Key as Kay and Caprice as Capri, talked utter rollocks throughout - I don't care if one of them had a friend who lived in the block of flats next to the ground that supported QPR, and the number of times they referred to shots that missed the target saying that it would have given the goalkeeper no chance was so infuriating - the bloody shot missed so the keeper didn't have to worry about it. Oh well rant over, at least we weren't inundated with Argyle rollocks.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably a draw was a fair result. We looked much better in the second half, we need to have the confidence to pass the ball around and stop booting it up field all the time.

We also need to urgently practice crossing, it really is a basic skill for a professional footballer. Sparkes and Williams especially seem unable to consistently cross the ball into the right area.
Although I thought we’re the better side the quality of Leyton Orient crossing and dead ball delivery was light years in front of ours...they put some really dangerous corners and crosses into the box all night long.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You Tube highlights

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Post match interview with Matt Taylor

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Post match interview with Jake Taylor