• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Southend United V Exeter City FC Matchday thread - 10 / 10 / 2020

Albumen

I thought Collins was City MoM.... Its all about opinions innit!!
I agree. Thought Collins was brilliant today.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feels like a point gained because of the lateness of the equaliser but think that when the dust settles we'll end up thinking that that was a missed opportunity for 3 points on he road.

I realise that some didn't appreciate Collins today but I love the fact that he constantly demands the ball and is always looking to either knit together the play or play a progressive pass. The very nature of the fact that he's on the ball so much means he'll lose it in more obvious ways on occasions. If there's a question mark over anyone in midfield, it's Jake for me... Lots of endeavour but not tidy enough for me in possession and cannot remember a significant contribution for a long time.

Joel Randell took his goal well but looked a little lost in the 10 role. Randell Williams is struggling to get going this season. He's working hard but very little end product at present and his delivery is not very threatening. Jay was quiet. I like him but if he's going to be a 10 he really needs to affect more than 1 in 5 games.

Bowman is a real concern for me. I suppose he's in there to be a "handful" for opposing centre halves but they seem to be having a very easy ride at present. We're also getting more balls in the box this season but Bowman rarely seems to be in the right place...

Josh Key again was very good particularly first half. Page was solid but will be disappointed to concede the pen (couldn't work out if it was stupid defending or very soft). Centre back pairing is good. Will be interesting to see how they cope with a rapid striker.

Anyway... Positive signs. The team is progressing and I sense that someone is in for a real hiding before long.

PS I know he's not flavour of the month but would love to see how Ajose would get along in a team with so much pace and movement (Randell, Williams, Key etc.). Think he could get on a roll...
Hopeful crossing eg Williams is not good enough - we need to find our men in the box wherever they may be. UTC

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree. Thought Collins was brilliant today.
At what ?

He dwells on the ball, his passing is generally poor and he gets bullied by opponents.

Apart from that he's playing like Viera !

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

hillview red

Disagree about Collins. He's excellent. His passing is generally accurate. I don't have OPTA stats but I'd hazard a guess that his pass completion is high. He is generally incisive with his passing and is strong for someone of his stature. Of course, he does occasionally get knocked off the ball and gets caught but thay might be to do with a lack of movement in front. I don't want a midfielder just booting it away... Be brave in possession, demand the ball and connect the play.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feels like a point gained because of the lateness of the equaliser but think that when the dust settles we'll end up thinking that that was a missed opportunity for 3 points on he road.

I realise that some didn't appreciate Collins today but I love the fact that he constantly demands the ball and is always looking to either knit together the play or play a progressive pass. The very nature of the fact that he's on the ball so much means he'll lose it in more obvious ways on occasions. If there's a question mark over anyone in midfield, it's Jake for me... Lots of endeavour but not tidy enough for me in possession and cannot remember a significant contribution for a long time.

Joel Randell took his goal well but looked a little lost in the 10 role. Randell Williams is struggling to get going this season. He's working hard but very little end product at present and his delivery is not very threatening. Jay was quiet. I like him but if he's going to be a 10 he really needs to affect more than 1 in 5 games.

Bowman is a real concern for me. I suppose he's in there to be a "handful" for opposing centre halves but they seem to be having a very easy ride at present. We're also getting more balls in the box this season but Bowman rarely seems to be in the right place...

Josh Key again was very good particularly first half. Page was solid but will be disappointed to concede the pen (couldn't work out if it was stupid defending or very soft). Centre back pairing is good. Will be interesting to see how they cope with a rapid striker.

Anyway... Positive signs. The team is progressing and I sense that someone is in for a real hiding before long.

PS I know he's not flavour of the month but would love to see how Ajose would get along in a team with so much pace and movement (Randell, Williams, Key etc.). Think he could get on a roll...
Good summary. The youngsters are always going to blow a bit hot and cold so they really need the senior players to step up to the plate. However, in the first half there were so many half-hearted clearances it was no surprise one eventually fell to a Southend player.
Overall it was the same old problems for City. From box to box we look neat and tidy but look shaky in our own box and still don’t create enough at the other end.
As for Southend, they’re clearly not a great side yet but I’d be surprised if they’re points off the bottom come the end of the season.

CraigECFC

Collins is definitely a non issue. We have quite a few problems at the moment but he definitely is not one of them. He has been and will continue to be one of our best players this season.

Grecianpasty

It seems as though your assessment consists of negatives towards the one player who made an assist and the other player that scored.

Just saying.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
One of the shortest things about football these days is the word assist. Bowman hasn't whipped in an unplayable cross to split their defence wide open with a pass. It was a simple 10yd pass that some are using as a reason for his continued selection

Trapdoor

Think fish needs to start ahead of bowman the next game. Time for a wake up call.