• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Newport have now signed up Scott Bennett, after already releasing him. Maybe that doesn't count under d3d4's roolz ?
I suppose you can't really transfer someone to yourself.

les.gtfc

A rather eclectic 5 new signings for us. To be honest I'd not heard of any of them before but I trust Mr Holloways judgement on these. Copied and pasted from our OS.

1) Grimsby Town Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of defender, Bilel Mohsni on an initial one-year deal.

The 33-year-old becomes Ian Holloway's first signing of the summer, following the team's return to pre-season training last week. We caught up with the manager this morning to discuss his first summer signing. "He is my leader, he's my Virgil van Dijk", said Holloway. "He can play anywhere, to be honest with you. In France, they have a sort of hall of fame, where they let anybody without a contract train and play with others and they play against clubs."He kept playing, he played nearly 30 games in that environment and he's a wonderful man, I've known him for a very very long time, he's a little bit firey I must admit...but I've forgiven him and I want him here to help us with our young lads. I'm absolutely delighted he's decided to join me, he had other choices but because we were so close last year, he's decided he wanted to come back to me".

The former Rangers and Dundee United defender enjoyed a successful period on trial at the club at the start of the year, which had to be cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Speaking exclusively to gtfc.co.uk, Mohsni discussed the period of uncertainty, as well as his eventual signing for the Mariners. "I'm happy to be back", said Mohsni. "I was starting to be ready with Greg when I was here before, working very hard before the lockdown. When that came in, I was back on my own in France and it was difficult, because we had the lockdown too which made it very difficult to train." Mohsni also spoke about the impact manager, Ian Holloway had on his move and his continuous motivation towards the defender over the last few months. "We have kept in touch, always texting each other, he is such a good man", said Mohsni.

"I like him as a man, not just as a manager. This virus was dangerous for all of us and it was great to keep in touch with him, always asking me how are my family, how am I keeping and things like that and then told me that when the team returns to training, he wants me to come back. He called me last week asking if I was ready and to come down on Sunday, so I didn't even have to think, I came and I am happy to be back".

2) Grimsby Town Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of striker, Ira Jackson Jr. on an initial two-year contract, with the option of a further year.

Following spells in the non-league, the 23-year-old forward joins The Mariners from his previous club, Folkestone Invicta after scoring 26 goals and contributing to 9 assists in 36 starts for the club. Jackson spoke exclusively to gtfc.co.uk following his second pre-season session with the club this afternoon. "The opportunity came about after the Manager and Chairman saw some of my footage, they invited me down, I came in, had a good first training session with a LOT of running and from there, my Dad did a great job with his conversations in order to get this move to come along", said Jackson.

"With the lock-down, I've been used to training by myself really, so I have just spent a lot of time getting in plenty of rest, then coming back to it and seeing where I was going, because I wasn't quite sure at the time. But during that, I've got my head down, been training 6 days a week to keep fit, work on my weaknesses from last season and try drive forward and wait for an opportunity like this to come along."I'm a forward player, who likes to get forward, create chances and score goals really!", explained Jackson. "I want to make the team win, I want to get in, do my job, score goals and I know that we have got really big ambitions for this season, so it's all about me playing my part in that and helping the team go forward, whether that's Playoffs or promotion, whichever we are going for".

The forward also wanted to give a special mention to his manager at Folkstone Invicta following his transfer to the Mariners. "I just want to thank my manager at Folkstone Invicta for giving me the opportunity, Neil Cugley. He is definitely the best manager in the non-league and now, it's an opportunity for me to be with, who I consider to be the best manager in the EFL in Ian Holloway. I'm looking forward to being at work!". Jackson was also full of admiration for his new manager, Ian Holloway, explaining just how influential he was in making the move up to Grimsby. "I think he was pretty much 95% of the influence in me coming here, to be honest", said Jackson. "As soon as I heard that Ian Holloway was interested in me as a player and some of the stuff he was saying to me and my Dad about me as a player and what I could potentially go on to do, it was like a godsend, it's a perfect opportunity to come work under a manager with Premier League experience and I want to push on. It's about taking this opportunity well and I want to thank God for this opportunity to progress in my career".

We caught up with the manager earlier today who spoke to us about his new exciting young signing. "He's a two-footed centre forward who scored a lot of goals last season", said Holloway. "He's been concentrating on a degree at 23 years old and now he's finished that, he's going full-time." "He's had lots of choices but he's chosen us and I've chosen him so I am absolutely delighted at it. He gave me a really good time yesterday and I can't wait to work with him really, he can play anywhere along the front, on the right, in the centre or on the left, so as we lost Charlie and Billy, I need to bolster that area and he's of that age where I believe he will become a saleable asset to us."

3) Grimsby Town Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of former Halesowen Town forward, Montel Gibson on a three-year-deal.

The 22-year-old former Notts County forward becomes manager, Ian Holloway's third signing of a busy week for the Mariners and has been busy in his first week of training with his new teammates. Scoring 31 goals in 46 appearances for his former team during the curtailed 2019/20 season, Gibson is aiming to continue his fantastic form in the EFL.

We caught up with the manager this afternoon at Cheapside, as he continues to push his squad through a shorter than normal pre-season schedule. "Every one of these lads is a project for me to get hold of. I need to get them up to speed, show them what this club's fitness should be like and then give them the opportunity to work on that, but when he gains confidence and puts in the performances like the ones I've seen glimpses of, hopefully, Montel and our other new lads can go down in history as being extremely good players for this club", said Holloway. "We've had it before where players come in from the lower leagues, proves what they can do and then they go onto better things. I've had situations in my life where I have taken players from the lower leagues and they've gone on to shine bright, so that's what I am doing here with these lads."

Gibson was also full of admiration and praise for his new manager, following conversations with Holloway before his arrival today. "He's a legend do you know what I mean?" said Gibson. "At first, I thought I was going to wake up and it just be a dream, but he's a good man, he's going to put time and effort into each and every one of us, get the best out of us and I will always give him and the club 100%, no doubt". Hard work, determination and passion are just some of the things Gibson prides himself on, he revealed exclusively to gtfc.co.uk. "My best attribute is that I will always give my all for the club, 100% at all times to my team, the club, the gaffer and the fans but at the same time, I would say I can be nasty when needed on the pitch!" said Gibson. "I'm not one to back out of a tackle when it's there but also when I get my eye on the goal, I know where to put the ball, I love scoring goals. It's more than that, it's a desire, a passion to be the best and be the best for this club."

Despite the 2020/21 season expected to start in uncertain circumstances, Gibson already had a message for Mariners' followers. "Thank you for having me down here, I can't wait to show you what I can do, get you off your seats and even if I am not scoring goals, I will do my absolute best and give me all for this club and we will all get this club back to where it needs to be!".

les.gtfc

4) Grimsby Town Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of George Williams on a two-year deal with the option of a further year
The 24-year-old becomes manager, Ian Holloway's fourth signing of the summer transfer window and has joined his new teammates at Cheapside this week, getting involved within pre-season training ahead of the new campaign.

Starting his career at his native MK Dons, Williams made the move to London to join Fulham, where he made a total of 17 appearances for the club. During his spell in the capital, Williams also returned to his first club on loan on two appearances, with spells at both Gillingham and St Johnstone in Scotland in between. Williams may also be best known for his recent spell at fellow Sky Bet League Two side, Forest Green Rovers. Speaking exclusively to gtfc.co.uk, the Welsh International discussed his move and his new manager. "I got a phone call from the manager recently, he outlined the project that he's got going on here and asked if I wanted to be part of it", said Williams. "It was an easy decision after talking to him to come up here, I have trained a couple of days with the boys and I am fully on board with the project we have here."

At the start of the 2019/20 season, Williams suffered a leg break, but that wasn't enough to put a dampener on his spirits. "I wanted to get back as soon as possible", said Williams. "As I was out of contract at the end of the season, I wanted to get back quickly and that's what I did, I got back for a couple of games, I scored a good goal away at Oldham but then the season was ended suddenly! "I worked hard, got back really fit and in shape and it all ended which was disappointing, but after missing almost a full season, you have no idea how hungry I am for this season, I want to go out, score lots of goals, enjoy playing football and after speaking to the manager, I cannot wait to see what this season brings for us!".

"When the season ended suddenly, I didn't want to fall into the trap of getting unfit and waiting for details on the new season, so I got my head down, kept ticking over and made sure that I was in shape. I have felt good for the first couple of sessions with the boys and it's good to get a ball back at my feet!".We also caught up with manager, Ian Holloway regarding his new signing. "The nasty injury was a break in the fibula, they put a plate in it, which got infected and caused a few complications, but we have had a look at it, he got fit, played well and scored for them", said Holloway. "He's a wonderful lad, fantastic ability, fresh as a daisy and he's got a young family who he is moving up straight away, so it's fantastic commitment from him and I am absolutely delighted. I hope our fans will enjoy the way he plays, he's full of energy and very creative in that midfield area and I cannot wait to work with him".

5) Grimsby Town Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of Spanish striker, Alhagi Touray Sisay on an initial one-year deal, subject to international clearance.

The 20-year-old becomes Ian Holloway's fifth signing of the summer, joining Bilel Mohsni, Ira Jackson Jr., Montel Gibson & George Williams. The young, imposing striker joins from Welsh side, Aberystwyth Town, the club which he joined in January 2020. After a short period at the club, the striker scored four goals in six appearances, including a hat-trick against Airbus shortly before the season was prematurely ended.

Speaking exclusively to gtfc.co.uk, manager Ian Holloway is excited at the prospect of working with the youngster after significant interest was declared from clubs higher up the EFL pyramid in recent months."He's 6 foot 4, got two real good feet and he wants to learn", said Holloway. "He speaks brilliant English and I am looking forward to working with him. His attitude seems fantastic, he was going to go to a Championship club last season, but there was a lot of compensation to his old club, so instead, he went to Wales and now he is a free transfer so I got him in, tested him on what I wanted to test him with and I'm delighted we have got him!".

We also caught up with the striker after his second full session with the Mariners, something that he couldn't be happier with. "I'm loving it so far, it's a completely different environment at this club, a lot different to what I was used to last year. Coming over to the UK, getting used to the culture and language and everything. It was tough, but now coming here to Grimsby, it's difficult because the fitness levels, the players I am playing with are much higher levels compared to my last club, but I am loving it so far.

"When I found out that Ian Holloway wanted me, it was a big deal, because obviously I was playing in non-league, but when a manager of his experience and the clubs he has managed, the type of football he plays comes to see you and says he wants to work with you, it's an honour. It really is an honour to be playing at this club and working with these lads and the manager. "I am a central striker, I like to play as a target man, score as many goals as I can and put a lot of pressure on the defenders. I like to work closely with the midfielders and wide men and hopefully put the ball in the net when they find me".

Banksy

You’ve got an interesting trio of strikers there Les!

LOG

George Williams letting the side down with his boring name.

les.gtfc

You’ve got an interesting trio of strikers there Les!
Yeah, none proven at this level but if you don't give them a chance you'll never know. As I mentioned Ian Holloway is a very astute and experienced manager and I don't think he'd have signed them if he wasn't expecting them to make the step up.

Next season will be very interesting in more ways than one.

Banksy

Yeah, none proven at this level but if you don't give them a chance you'll never know. As I mentioned Ian Holloway is a very astute and experienced manager and I don't think he'd have signed them if he wasn't expecting them to make the step up.

Only needs one to click and who knows?

dontpassback

I like Ian Holloway,he is always good for a one liner,and because he buggered off from the green slime to go to Leicester city !

denzel

"Former Halesowen Town striker"

Does it get any better than that?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

Nice to see that you have trawled some talent from the lower leagues. Could prove good business

Status
Not open for further replies.