• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I imagine £18 million is the starting price, could go a lot higher?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yer tis, £18m buyout clause activated. Cash him in boys. Kerrrrrching.
What do we reckon to be ECFC's cut?

Quick back of a fag packet calculation suggests somewhere around 3.25 million. By comparison that is less than the amount of the latest investment Hallett put into Argyle at the end of July.

C j phill

Yer tis, £18m buyout clause activated. Cash him in boys. Kerrrrrching.
What do we reckon to be ECFC's cut?

If this is true, then Brentford, and by association, us, will seriously lose out financially. However, if Ollie's perceived worth is say £25 million, he and his agent are major winners. This combined with the Chrisene rumour is extremely disappointing for City management, owners and supporters.

As an aside, if £18m is correct and assuming were due 20% of the profit, I make it we get circa £3.2m. I'd bank £2.5m, add £700k to Taylor's playing budget and give him a fixed performance target of promotion for the coming season, with a review of his contract position, if he fails to deliver.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If this is true, then Brentford, and by association, us, will seriously lose out financially. However, if Ollie's perceived worth is say £25 million, he and his agent are major winners. This combined with the Chrisene rumour is extremely disappointing for City management, owners and supporters.

As an aside, if £18m is correct and assuming were due 20% of the profit, I make it we get circa £3.2m. I'd bank £2.5m, add £700k to Taylor's playing budget and give him a fixed performance target of promotion for the coming season, with a review of his contract position, if he fails to deliver.
Presumably when Brentford offered Ollie his latest contract they were in a similar position to us with Jayden and he was refusing to sign unless the clause was included. I know we were all hoping for more but it still seems churlish to complain a 3 million windfall.
Incidentally I would take the opposite approach and bank the lot as a safety net against whatever Covid brings and tell Matt Taylor to concentrate on blooding the kids. Eventually some of it should be spent on sorting out the pitch at SJP.

Boyo

According to the BBC article there was a £10m clause last year, but it's now £18m. Why would it change?

Boyo

I imagine £18 million is the starting price, could go a lot higher?
No. If it's a buy out clause, there's no need for any Club to pay more. Why would they?

muppetdodger

Surely just cos there is a release clause, it sets a minimum not a maximum. If a club want to spend 25m on him it wont be turned away will it? The fact was Stockley wasn't worth any more than his release clause, but Watkins is. The fact that this has come out in the press now must mean other clubs with Ollie in their radar will sit up and count their cash?

muppetdodger

No. If it's a buy out clause, there's no need for any Club to pay more. Why would they?
If two clubs wanted him then surely to capture him they would offer more?

Boyo

If two clubs wanted him then surely to capture him they would offer more?
Why would any Club pay more than they have too? Brentford have to sell for £18m. They cannot say no. If multiple Clubs want him then they'll compete by attempting to offer superior personal terms, but no one will pay more than the minimum necessary.

Last edited:

muppetdodger

According to the BBC article there was a £10m clause last year, but it's now £18m. Why would it change?
Did he renew his contract since then, or maybe it was dependent on how many goals he scored this year.