• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nope! The garage noted oil in the coolant a couple of years ago. Recently I've been topping up the coolant more often than before, but can't see any leaks.

I imagine a head gasket job would be too expensive to justify now. Any idea what it might cost, Olds?
I would guess around £500-£600 minimum.
It’s a time consuming job.The water pump would be changed at the same time.

Oldsmobile-88

Has anyone thought about buying a electric car or plug in electric/petrol car ?
Or who has one already ?

I would imagine the looming economic Armageddon is going to put the roll out of infrastructure for electric vehicles back a bit.

I have a self charging petrol hybrid which is great in slow moving traffic just running on battery but of course is limited over a prolonged period.
The smart bit of the technology is when braking the heat from the brake pads is converted into battery energy.

Rosencrantz

As a small kid my first dream car was...

Now though I would prefer...

Not sure what TV my mum was really into at the time as she doesn't go for action now (she preferred Doyle to the cars 😉).

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Real seat of your pants cars..No ABS,Drum brakes not disc,I don’t think the RS2000 has power steering.
The only Capri that had it was the 3 litre version iirc

Wearing of seat belts not mandatory(very few people wore them) if you had a serious bang in a car back then you would be seriously injured or die..No one gave it a second thought.

Oldsmobile-88

Loads of ads on TV from claims company’s about a class action against Mercedes who have been caught out fiddling the emissions figure on Diesel vehicles.
I’m not convinced the majority of motorists who purchase or lease a car look at the emission data.

The cost that I looked at was the RFL(yearly car tax) that was more a gauge of emissions that you could see in pound notes(of course this has been proved to be false in the case of diesel vehicles)

Anyone thinking of trying to get a few quid out of the German motoring giants in a class action.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
As a small kid my first dream car was...

View attachment 1903
I had one of those in John Player Special black and gold. I bought it at Tewkesbury Car Auctions and after replaving the gearbox idler shaft it gave me years of trouble-free motoring

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've had a 1994 Rover 214 SLi since 1997, which now has 160,000 on the clock and may be coming to the end of its days! Especially as I've got a nasty feeling there may be head gasket problems looming. A faithful servant, but it's probably time to find a replacement which is OK for local use and can also handle a motorway stint.
I used to set the dies in Swindon's Austin-Rover plant and can inform you that 214/216 used zintec steel that cut down corrosion. Manufactures weren't always keen on zinc coated metal as they received less money from scrap merchant for the off-cuts.

elginCity

Once had a Capri 2.0 Ghia, racing green, hefty insurance for a 20 yr old, when heart overruled head.

After about two weeks the big ends went, warranty wasn't worth the paper, and then the rust started bubbling through. Lesson learned !

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loads of ads on TV from claims company’s about a class action against Mercedes who have been caught out fiddling the emissions figure on Diesel vehicles.
I’m not convinced the majority of motorists who purchase or lease a car look at the emission data.

The cost that I looked at was the RFL(yearly car tax) that was more a gauge of emissions that you could see in pound notes(of course this has been proved to be false in the case of diesel vehicles)

Anyone thinking of trying to get a few quid out of the German motoring giants in a class action.
I bought my daughter-in-law's Mercedes GLA200 and asked her to look into it. Will keep you informed if we get anything from them.

Oldsmobile-88

Once had a Capri 2.0 Ghia, racing green, hefty insurance for a 20 yr old, when heart overruled head.

After about two weeks the big ends went, warranty wasn't worth the paper, and then the rust started bubbling through. Lesson learned !
Needed a bit of ballast in the boot,to stop the back end slide,if going into a corner too fast 😁

Weight distribution was very much at the front in 1970s Fords...Cars were of course much lighter in those days.