• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is still King

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
i saw him out running during lock down (he actually Out paced me which is slightly embarrassing) and it is definitely his body type, big lad but not overweight.
Without wanting to go all Gok, i don't think the football shirt does him too many favours as if you see him in normal clothes he looks quite slight. I've also seen a shirt of his which was being raffled off and was surprised at how small it was.

Dannyred

We go again,but we don’t want to be going again,and again and again,we have some good young players coming through and we need to combine the youth with experience and realise our potential and I don’t care if I ever hear the word play off final ever again !
Unless we have a change of mentality throughout the club then it will remain the same lower league club as it has always been in my lifetime.

DB9

It would be a little unfair to judge anyone too harshly given how this season was curtailed.

I'm still in #teammatt
I think we're all team Matt, I certainly am but it does no favours putting him up there on a pedestal

Arthur Davey

Unless we have a change of mentality throughout the club then it will remain the same lower league club as it has always been in my lifetime.
You must have had a pretty short lifetime, then. IMHO, our club is a vastly different one now than the one it was when it went out of the Football League and down into the Conference. Pretty churlish, to say the least, not to recognise that. Russell, Lewis. Nuff said.

Dannyred

You must have had a pretty short lifetime, then. IMHO, our club is a vastly different one now than the one it was when it went out of the Football League and down into the Conference. Pretty churlish, to say the least, not to recognise that. Russell, Lewis. Nuff said.
We still have No assets (Ground/training ground) and remain in the lower leagues plus always freeze on the big stage, So not really moved forward.

Andy_H

Go back to the 60s & 70s and note how many times we had to apply for re-election, that was before the days of 'play-offs' for those who don't remember.

So just getting to Wembley is progress, over those 'good old days'! How many other L2 teams would have given their right arms to have even had the opportunity to 'freeze on the big stage'?

Legohead

Banned
I was a bit harsh on Matty the other day. I do feel he does make some elementary mistakes and appears not to learn from them which is a concern and has cost us points in the process but he is still a manager learning on the job and maybe this can be overlooked for now. Next season if he can bed in some youngsters, add a few astute signings, maybe get Ajose back fit and firing as well as shipping out or dropping some of the dross from the play off final AND still compete for the play offs then i'd consider that an acceptable season. With a view to promotion the season after as an absolute must.

This will have given him 4 years at the helm and i believe that is a reasonable amount of time to expect success at a club like ours. We aren't Macclesfield or Crawley. We have limitations as a club of course but i believe we should at least be hitting the play offs each year as a minimum. We've lost the final a few times and that's not success. Success is reaching the play off final and winning it which we as a club should be more than capable of doing.

Give Matty another 2 seasons and if we aren't in L1 by then i'd say call it a day. He gets my full support though whilst he attempts to rebuild for next season and into the season after.

IndoMike

Go back to the 60s & 70s and note how many times we had to apply for re-election, that was before the days of 'play-offs' for those who don't remember.

So just getting to Wembley is progress, over those 'good old days'! How many other L2 teams would have given their right arms to have even had the opportunity to 'freeze on the big stage'?
God we had some awful teams

Andy_H

God we had some awful teams
They weren't that good!

Rosencrantz

If Sweeney wasn't fit there is no way he would have got through 210 minutes of play off semi finals off of two and a bit weeks of training. He has his off days and his weight is always a bit of a cheap shot to go at when he does.

As for Matt, two years in and he has remodelled the squad (only three or four survivors from our previous play off final) and been pushing for the play offs in his first season and automatic in his second. It's progress and he has probably learnt a hell of a lot of lessons on the way as every manager does for all their careers, even Fergie said he did.

We have to wait and see what next season brings. Obviously our budget is going to be less and our young players will be more to the fore. But there are still other clubs out there prepared to spend it seems so it's not going to be odds on we are up there challenging again even though that is what the aim will be.

One thing I know will happen though, is that Matt and the coaching staff will be giving everything to get the team going again.