• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The general rules of the government furlough scheme permit employees to be re-furloughed provided the new furlough period is for at least three weeks. I do not think football is different.

I would expect those retained players who are still employees to be re-furloughed to permit claims.
That is my understanding and expectation too.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the window to furlough new employees had now passed.

Alistair20000

I thought the window to furlough new employees had now passed.
ECFC players were on the payroll at the qualifying time. So they are not new employees.

Rosencrantz

The general rules of the government furlough scheme permit employees to be re-furloughed provided the new furlough period is for at least three weeks. I do not think football is different.

I would expect those retained players who are still employees to be re-furloughed to permit claims.
Can they do that provisionally, as we don't know when next season is starting so don't know if the players are going to get three weeks off. If we start again at the end of August/start of September, they will need to be back before the end of July.

DB9

Can they do that provisionally, as we don't know when next season is starting so don't know if the players are going to get three weeks off. If we start again at the end of August/start of September, they will need to be back before the end of July.
They've got to October, That's when the furlough scheme ends

Oldsmobile-88

No use crying over spilt milk now but i wonder how much it cost to unfurlough the players for the month?

20 players plus others in the back room staff,perhaps 35 in all ?
I hope for the clubs sake the EFL come good because I reckon it’s the thick end of £100k

Rosencrantz

They've got to October, That's when the furlough scheme ends
I was asking more about the uncertainty of when the new season starts and as Ali says they have to be furloughed for a min 3 weeks, they might not have that amount of time off before they need to be back in training.

DB9

I was asking more about the uncertainty of when the new season starts and as Ali says they have to be furloughed for a min 3 weeks, they might not have that amount of time off before they need to be back in training.
Sorry, My apologies. I think it all depends on the EFL/FA/Government, Will they want to start the season with no fans or wait until later when fans can go back in, No point in starting pre-season in a few weeks when we don't even know when the new season starts, Isn't it about first week in July they'd normally come back for training?

andrew p long

I may be wrong, but I don’t see the league two season starting in August, especially as League Two clubs need fans in the grounds to make it viable. Get them furloughed again ASAP for minimum three weeks and then see how we go.

Alistair20000

The employer can unfurlough the employee at any time and the government subsidy then ceases from that day

I am not sure whether the subsidy can be claimed where the furlough is revoked before the minimum period of 3 weeks has been reached where it is a second (or further) furlough as will be the case with our players.

The scheme has a bit more flexibility from 1 July.

There will be employment law issues as well as the government subsidy rules to take into account of course.