• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Decisions could be needed soon on possible redundancies

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm hoping City sent out a letter or email in March to all of the players, confirming that they are not required to attend training, play matches or do any work for the Club. Otherwise, I suspect City may be on shaky ground if HMRC questions the date of claim. As for topping up the players' wages while they're furloughed, I understand why the Club has done it, but I don't think it's wise. With no income on the horizon, saving money should take precedence over everything. Other than that, I'm glad the Club and Trust have done the right thing and furloughed the players. Hopefully it is has strengthened their resolve to take on the out-of-touch, tone-deaf PFA.
You need a signed response from the employee agreeing to be furloughed, not just to notify them. Given the club are topping up wages I doubt any would refuse, but it would be interesting to know how the club would deal with any refusals. For a business without the recruitment difficulties that a professional football club faces, refusal to be furloughed would lead straight to redundancy proceedings.

StroudGrecian

If it opens at 9am, I'll go for the first crash at 9.13am.

Alistair20000

Decisions could be needed soon on possible redundancies

One month extension of furlough scheme announced this afternoon

ex_user1234

Resigned
One month extension of furlough scheme announced this afternoon
That's really good news for City. Thanks for posting.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Does anyone know if the players are now returned to be furloughed?

DB9

Does anyone know if the players are now returned to be furloughed?
I thought once you're taken off furlough then you can't go back on but football maybe different as it normally doesn't reflect life for most of us

Oldsmobile-88

I thought once you're taken off furlough then you can't go back on but football maybe different as it normally doesn't reflect life for most of us
That’s what I thought..Just checking a faq & it says individuals can be furloughed more than once but that refers to having more than one job covered by the scheme.

From August employers have to contribute 25% of the furlough(I assume the 80%) Not sure how that affects the watertight nature of players contracts.

DB9

That’s what I thought..Just checking a faq & it says individuals can be furloughed more than once but that refers to having more than one job covered by the scheme.

From August employers have to contribute 25% of the furlough(I assume the 80%) Not sure how that affects the watertight nature of players contracts.
I'm going by my daughters circumstances and not being abled to be re-furloughed but football isn't the real world.

Alistair20000

The general rules of the government furlough scheme permit employees to be re-furloughed provided the new furlough period is for at least three weeks. I do not think football is different.

I would expect those retained players who are still employees to be re-furloughed to permit claims.