• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clear out?

Dannyred

About half of them will be under contract so have another go.
Put them on the transfer list
Sweeney gone twice, although I have to admit if there were two of him I'd release them both
yes just in case Matt didn’t see it the first time 😂

Legohead

Banned
Hopefully those players who are still with us next season will realise how lucky they are and earn their money. There are many many players who are going to be out of work, like lots of supporters with no jobs because of COVID.
This is what rankled with me tonight. Not so much that we lost but the players didn't give their absolute blood, sweat and tears. Not for the club. Not even for us fans but for themselves. I have lost a lot of respect for most of the players that played this evening. It's often difficult to equate civvy street jobs like NHS nurses to footballers but when i think of NHS staff going through hell for months and sacrificing so much. Some nurses not even seeing their kids for 12 weeks whilst they work and their kids isolate and you get players like Fisher etc that can't even be arsed to run about a bit. Makes me a bit sick to be a football fan if i'm honest.

At the very least compete and leave nothing on the pitch. That's all we ask as fans. To give it a real go. What we got tonight was an indication as to the character of some players and it's not good.

It's like the Covid pandemic never happened and players have gone back to thinking they can just lollop around at their own leisure. This includes the Prem restart too. Players on 150k a week that spend half the game ambling around at walking pace. If anything we should be demanding more of footballers and forgiving less. Defeats are inevitable in football but effort, honesty and integrity to do the very best you can seems to have died a death already. Had enough of footballers and footy i think tbh. Maybe time to call it a day once and for all with the game.

Last edited:

Exehausted

I'm assuming that we will be told in the next couple of days who has been released. Matt said before the game that the 7 out of contract had been told that none of them would be staying. He also said that they had shown an excellent attitude when they came back to training, although two players declined to come back.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Put them on the transfer list
If they are as bad as you seem to think why would other clubs come in for them when there will be hundreds of out of contract players. Also if City are listing them they are due some form of a paying up agreement on the rest of their contracts. With a likely tight budget, that won't give much money for any replacements.

Rosencrantz

I'm assuming that we will be told in the next couple of days who has been released. Matt said before the game that the 7 out of contract had been told that none of them would be staying.
Where did he say that, out of interest? I must have missed it.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
No point in Taylor saying anything. It's too late. Everyone saw with their own eyes how Taylor mismanaged tonight and how the players treated their jobs. Talking now is pointless. Season over.
I haven't got anything bad to say about Matt Taylor other than for most of the game we simply had no answer to the four in-line Northampton centre-backs that straddled the 6 yard line whenever we put a cross in the box. Our poor shots on target clearly showed how devoid of ideas our attack was all evening. While Northampton fully deserved their victory, I do hope Matt and his No2 can show a bit more attacking flexibility in future games.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where did he say that, out of interest? I must have missed it.
Would seem strange psychology to tell players just ahead of a Wembley play-off final that they’ll be looking for a new job next week.

Legohead

Banned
I haven't got anything bad to say about Matt Taylor other than for most of the game we simply had no answer to the four in-line Northampton centre-backs that straddled the 6 yard line whenever we put a cross in the box. Our poor shots on target clearly showed how devoid of ideas our attack was all evening. While Northampton fully deserved their victory, I do hope Matt and his No2 can show a bit more attacking flexibility in future games.
I like Matty a lot but he has a tendency, like me to not learn from his mistakes which is disappointing.

Dannyred

Would seem strange psychology to tell players just ahead of a Wembley play-off final that they’ll be looking for a new job next week.
Think it was on the bbc football focus interview.

Banksy

About half of them will be under contract so have another go.
You can’t blame him for wishful thinking.He really wants Sweeney out too as he’s down twice!
It really is a pity because we really need a fresh start in some cases.Although it’s sad for players I suppose that is one thing C19 will bring , shorter contracts.