• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
My view is that one of the major reasons for the win yesterday was the Collins-Taylor-Law centre midfield, so I would not want Taylor to change that.
Would you find a way for Big Nige to start if you pick these three ?

Thought he was excellent when he came on yesterday.

Colesman Ballz

Would you find a way for Big Nige to start if you pick these three ?

Thought he was excellent when he came on yesterday.
Quality problem to have though isn't it. I expect that just like last night, all four will have a significant role to play at some time or another.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Law needs to be given a free role to go either side and confuse their defence. Otherwise we need a balanced side with the left more covered than yesterday, Richardson did OK but he not a natural left sided player, a better team would have exploited our left side more.

Maxted probably has the edge in goal, they are both decent L2 standard but nothing special.

Assuming everyone is fit I'd go for the following.

Maxed

Sweeney
Martin
Moxey

Williams
Atangana
Collins
Sparkes

Law

Fisher
Bowman

Bench
Ward
Richardson
Moxey
Dickenson
Taylor
Lee Martin or Randall
Jay
Seymour
Ajose

Ian Russon

Wembley has a larger pitch than SJP and is notorious for being strength sapping also the weather is far warmer in late June than is normal for the players to perform in. Question is, do we go in all guns blazing like yesterday or sit back conserving energy for the final twenty minutes ? Both managers have got some big calls to make over team selection this week.
We won 3-1 yesterday and lost 1-0 the game before. We must do everything we did yesterday. We go 2-0 against Northampton at Wembley, they're out of it.

Tisdale did everything right getting to Wembley but on the big day he bottled it by changing things. I wouldn't change a thing.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We won 3-1 yesterday and lost 1-0 the game before. We must do everything we did yesterday. We go 2-0 against Northampton at Wembley, they're out of it.

Tisdale did everything right getting to Wembley but on the big day he bottled it by changing things. I wouldn't change a thing.
We faded away in the second half last night and going off the boil at Wembley isn't really an option. What does Taylor do? Go for it and leave some of the senior pros to close the game out or start the old uns leaving younger legs on the bench for later on ? If it's this warm on the day, that and pitch size will be major factors.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
By the way, the Wembley pitch effect is slightly exaggerated: assuming the figures posted online are correct, it is quite wide (68 metres v 64 at SJP) but only a metre longer (105 v 104). The pitch at Argyle is actually wider than Wembley (70 metres). Sixfields is 106 x 65.

And its the same for both teams.

Alistair20000

Law needs to be given a free role to go either side and confuse their defence. Otherwise we need a balanced side with the left more covered than yesterday, Richardson did OK but he not a natural left sided player, a better team would have exploited our left side more.

Maxted probably has the edge in goal, they are both decent L2 standard but nothing special.

Assuming everyone is fit I'd go for the following.

Maxed

Sweeney
Martin
Moxey

Williams
Atangana
Collins
Sparkes

Law

Fisher
Bowman

Bench
Ward
Richardson
Moxey
Dickenson
Taylor
Lee Martin or Randall
Jay
Seymour
Ajose
I would go with your starting line up JW with some regret that Matt Jay is benched.

As regards Moxey starting and on the bench, shurely shome mishtake

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
By the way, the Wembley pitch effect is slightly exaggerated: assuming the figures posted online are correct, it is quite wide (68 metres v 64 at SJP) but only a metre longer (105 v 104). The pitch at Argyle is actually wider than Wembley (70 metres). Sixfields is 106 x 65.

And its the same for both teams.
Fair dos, the actual dimensions do vary depending on where you look. What I'm getting at is the effect conditions will have on the players on the day and what MT's thinking might be on his selection.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would go with your starting line up JW with some regret that Matt Jay is benched.

As regards Moxey starting and on the bench, shurely shome mishtake
Indeed. Parkes on the bench, of course.

Jay and Seymour to come on in the last 20 minutes to provide "fresh legs".

STURTZ

How many subs are allowed to be used?