• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryancooper327

I imagine the majority would hate it but I like the idea of the DP (designated player) rule in the MLS where teams can have just 3 players over a salary cap.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What are they counting as senior players though, anyone on a pro contract? Limiting it to a 20 man maximum squad will have to see a reduction in subs being named as you currently have an 18 man matchday squad. The investment in physio's and S&C staff will be critical. £1.25 million for a 20 man squad I see as no problem though, it averages out at £62,500 pa which should be plenty for any L2 side although perversely it could push up some players wages who do get a contract whilst obviously putting a lot of current pro's out of work.

One further thing though, if all the clubs have to have 8 homegrown academy players named in the squad, can we get the EPPP fiasco revised. It would be really perverse to enforce a number of homegrown players on clubs whilst still making it easy for the better ones to be poached so easily.
Yet again, the EFL seem to be making up things as they go along with absolutely no clarity or forward planning. Why is the first we hear of these proposals when they are leaked to a reporter and published behind a paywall? Apparently the 20 man limit is for players over 21 which means clubs are only going to be allowed to have 12 players aged over 21 who have not come through their academy - I just can't see the logic behind this. And then we're told that the EFL hope to have the salary cap in place for next season but that clubs 'would have a season's grace in which to comply with the new measures,' which seems to be a contradiction.

StudentGrecian

Yet again, the EFL seem to be making up things as they go along with absolutely no clarity or forward planning. Why is the first we hear of these proposals when they are leaked to a reporter and published behind a paywall? Apparently the 20 man limit is for players over 21 which means clubs are only going to be allowed to have 12 players aged over 21 who have not come through their academy - I just can't see the logic behind this. And then we're told that the EFL hope to have the salary cap in place for next season but that clubs 'would have a season's grace in which to comply with the new measures,' which seems to be a contradiction.
The EFL with another stupid idea.
Salary Caps are needed in the Elite leagues, primarily to stop the hoarding of talent. Not leagues where teams who are run on a shoestring budget already can't afford to pay their players on time every month.
Wonder how long it will be till the B-team question in posed by the EFL again.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The EFL with another stupid idea.
Salary Caps are needed in the Elite leagues, primarily to stop the hoarding of talent. Not leagues where teams who are run on a shoestring budget already can't afford to pay their players on time every month.
Wonder how long it will be till the B-team question in posed by the EFL again.
Agree they're needed at the top but in league 2 we have clubs running in a hugely unsustainable manner which needs to be addressed.

StudentGrecian

Agree they're needed at the top but in league 2 we have clubs running in a hugely unsustainable manner which needs to be addressed.
I agree, but I don’t think salary caps are the way forward, clubs will still be run outside their means.
Also why impose a salary cap on only 2 out of their 3 Leagues if it’s such a revolutionary idea that’ll sort out football finances?
Derby posted £39 million losses before their dodgy stadium sale, surely they need a salary cap more than League Two clubs?

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Salary caps (i.e. a limit on a Club's overall wage budget) are probably the best way across all levels of football to dampen the overheating of player's wages which means Clubs right down to our level are tempted to consistently overspend on players to 'compete'. It's taken us years to finally have some money banked as a Club. Get up to Championship level and that could easily be blown in a fortnight by some owners.

It doesn't solve the other financial problems referred to.
That will need tougher governance rules by the leagues as a condition of participation.

Dannyred

Salary caps (i.e. a limit on a Club's overall wage budget) are probably the best way across all levels of football to dampen the overheating of player's wages which means Clubs right down to our level are tempted to consistently overspend on players to 'compete'. It's taken us years to finally have some money banked as a Club. Get up to Championship level and that could easily be blown in a fortnight by some owners.

It doesn't solve the other financial problems referred to.
That will need tougher governance rules by the leagues as a condition of participation.
I am not sure wage caps alone would fully help clubs as there are other ways of players making up on less wages.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am not sure wage caps alone would fully help clubs as there are other ways of players making up on less wages.
Like you I am not convinced a salary cap is the answer, although it is good to see any sort of action being discussed. I would, however, like to know more about the proposed level of the salary cap. It would be interesting to know, for example, how many clubs currently have a wage bill over the proposed 1.25 million limit and if City are one of those clubs.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like you I am not convinced a salary cap is the answer, although it is good to see any sort of action being discussed. I would, however, like to know more about the proposed level of the salary cap. It would be interesting to know, for example, how many clubs currently have a wage bill over the proposed 1.25 million limit and if City are one of those clubs.
Most and yes

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Going by Dale Vince's comments in support of a wage cap in L2 of £2 million I suspect that FGR is above.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18396934.forest-green-chairman-dale-vince-strongly-favour-introducing-salary-cap/

The amount and make up of any cap is going to have a big problem with getting any kind of consensus with clubs like FGR and Salford wanting a higher amount due to owners ambition and willingness to cover losses, and then clubs like Argyle who don't want a salary cap that would limit them from what they think they can afford with a larger income than L2 standards (shouldn't be so rubbish as to get relegated would be the reply 😉).

I think you will have a large chunk of owners who will back a salary cap as they won't have to bail out their clubs or get involved in an arms race of paying the "going rate" to compete as supporters largely demand. Whether it will be enough to get the salary cap implemented at a realistic level I think will be very difficult work.

Status
Not open for further replies.