• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Most and yes
I guess the question should be whether those clubs paying above that rate are breaking even without any covering of losses. Our own base budget would be slightly below £1.25 million although with the extra money we have generated, the cap would have allowed us to invest more in other areas such as infrastructure, ground, training ground and more importantly academy. We could then move up from being grade three as is our ambition.

That level of cap would probably be good for us in our outlook of pushing our young players although the proposed L1 level would still be very much a challenge although a narrower gap. It would probably force other clubs to do similar investment in youth which would arguably be good for the game as a whole in this country. However most clubs (and supporters I suspect) do not have the same view, it's all about the competition and little else.

Spoonz Red E

I am not sure wage caps alone would fully help clubs as there are other ways of players making up on less wages.
I agree.
Hence my reference to the other governance needed.

I do think the terms of the salary cap should be well drawn up to limit other abuses.

Boyo

The Colchester chairman suggested that any salary cap would only apply to squad members aged 21+. That seems very sensible as clearly it would encourage youth development.

That said, I'm still not sure a blanket policy for all Clubs would work. If the likes of Coventry, Pompey and Luton end up in L2 and are able to have a higher wage bill and live within means then it seems wrong to not allow that. Similiarly if we have benefitted from recent transfer income and plan to spend a little more, because we have cash in the bank then that seems reasonable. I guess the ideal scenario would be for each Club to have individually tailored budgets each year, based on revenue in previous seasons and cash in the bank. That's difficult to administer, admittedly.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree.
Hence my reference to the other governance needed.

I do think the terms of the salary cap should be well drawn up to limit other abuses.
Yes, it would have to be closely monitored and enforced. Many Exewebbers will be aware of the scandal in the Rugby Premiership, where a very successful club have only recently been sanctioned as a result of salary cap breaches going back several years.

Rosencrantz

The Colchester chairman suggested that any salary cap would only apply to squad members aged 21+. That seems very sensible as clearly it would encourage youth development.

That said, I'm still not sure a blanket policy for all Clubs would work. If the likes of Coventry, Pompey and Luton end up in L2 and are able to have a higher wage bill and live within means then it seems wrong to not allow that. Similiarly if we have benefitted from recent transfer income and plan to spend a little more, because we have cash in the bank then that seems reasonable. I guess the ideal scenario would be for each Club to have individually tailored budgets each year, based on revenue in previous seasons and cash in the bank. That's difficult to administer, admittedly.
That is supposedly what is meant to be happening now but obviously it's not working very well as Bury would prove.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Going by Dale Vince's comments in support of a wage cap in L2 of £2 million I suspect that FGR is above.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18396934.forest-green-chairman-dale-vince-strongly-favour-introducing-salary-cap/

The amount and make up of any cap is going to have a big problem with getting any kind of consensus with clubs like FGR and Salford wanting a higher amount due to owners ambition and willingness to cover losses, and then clubs like Argyle who don't want a salary cap that would limit them from what they think they can afford with a larger income than L2 standards (shouldn't be so rubbish as to get relegated would be the reply 😉).

I think you will have a large chunk of owners who will back a salary cap as they won't have to bail out their clubs or get involved in an arms race of paying the "going rate" to compete as supporters largely demand. Whether it will be enough to get the salary cap implemented at a realistic level I think will be very difficult work.
Argyle lost £1.4m in six months (£600,000 were one off costs do lost £800,000 in general income).

Ffp on principle is a good idea but in practice it just isn't working. Salary capping is probably the easiest way but again salary capping won't stop clubs like Macclesfield.

chrisw

Argyle lost £1.4m in six months (£600,000 were one off costs do lost £800,000 in general income).

Ffp on principle is a good idea but in practice it just isn't working. Salary capping is probably the easiest way but again salary capping won't stop clubs like Macclesfield.
As long as you have private owners who want to take a punt on getting their club promoted the FFP and salary caps will have no chance of working. in the lower level of the professional game I am sure that there will be a significant number of owners who will not be able to funds the losses, both now and when we get back to some sort of normality. We must run our clubs as long-term businesses with judicious use of the funds available.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

In the Grecian Groups video that was posted last week Julian Tagg suggested that the Argyle owner had spent 15 million on the club, which is higher than any previous sum I had seen. As with so many clubs it's hard to see where all that money has gone and shows just what a good job we have done competing with them this season on a much smaller budget.

Personally I would like to see an attempt made to tighten up the current FFP rules and make them more effective before trying to introduce new rules.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the Grecian Groups video that was posted last week Julian Tagg suggested that the Argyle owner had spent 15 million on the club, which is higher than any previous sum I had seen. As with so many clubs it's hard to see where all that money has gone and shows just what a good job we have done competing with them this season on a much smaller budget.

Personally I would like to see an attempt made to tighten up the current FFP rules and make them more effective before trying to introduce new rules.
"Competing with them" ??

FOUR - NIL !!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Grecian2K

The shape of things to come down here as well?
How long before the "great and the good" of English "elite" football start trying to push this argument for L2 (and even L1)..especially if it helps push their "B" team dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.