• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Your point is totally irrelevant. It is absolutely meaningless, the Trust is an organisation and therefore there are fans who choose not to be a member by their own volition. Those fans therefore have no vote, so what ?
My point remains that the Trust are voted in by less than 5% of the City fanbase. This may be unsettling to the cult wing of the Trust, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't know the chap, but certainly recognise him through emailed newsletters and announcements and the like, and I would instantly recognise him, which bearing in mind I have lived in Oz for over 3 years now and cant attend many matches, suggests he puts himself about a bit. I also think suggesting he is the most powerful person at the Club is incorrect, the Trust provide something north of 100K a year to the club, that is small potatoes (nice ones mind) in terms of club income, and I would suggest Julian Tagg is way more influential / powerful. Not even sure why this is a big topic on here really ?

Dannyred

I agree. Nick Hawker is the most powerful person at Exeter City by a country mile and his personal philosophy on how a football club should be run permeates everything at City these days, yet many fans do not know who he is. It's an odd situation.
Who really is the main person in charge of the club now Hawker or Tagg ?

ex_user1234

Resigned
I don't know the chap, but certainly recognise him through emailed newsletters and announcements and the like, and I would instantly recognise him, which bearing in mind I have lived in Oz for over 3 years now and cant attend many matches, suggests he puts himself about a bit. I also think suggesting he is the most powerful person at the Club is incorrect, the Trust provide something north of 100K a year to the club, that is small potatoes (nice ones mind) in terms of club income, and I would suggest Julian Tagg is way more influential / powerful. Not even sure why this is a big topic on here really ?
With the greatest of respect, I know the internal politics of the club well. It has nothing to do with money. It is to do with control and power.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Who really is the main person in charge of the club now Hawker or Tagg ?
It's not even close. The Trust have taken over.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Since when do those who support City but are not members of the Trust not count as fans?
Who said they didn't? But why would fans who are not members of the Trust have a vote in a Trust election?

So what you're saying is the Trust board are there only to represent members of the Trust?
Well fans who are not members of the Trust might be hacked off if the Trust Board did claim to represent them. I suspect under the laws concerning community benefit societies the Trust cannot represent anyone other than their members.

Also, you gave an erroneous number of the votes (although it only took me two or three minutes to find the correct number) and seemingly picked a figure of the total number of fans from the air, where does 15,000 come from? I think from earlier discussions here and elsewhere it's been suggested about 10,000 different people come to City games in the home sections over a normal season, though whether they would all call themselves City fans only they can say.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My point remains that the Trust are voted in by less than 5% of the City fanbase. This may be unsettling to the cult wing of the Trust, but that doesn't make it untrue.
Afraid it does unless you can prove there are 15,000 City fans who want a voice.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Who said they didn't? But why would fans who are not members of the Trust have a vote in a Trust election?

Well fans who are not members of the Trust might be hacked off if the Trust Board did claim to represent them. I suspect under the laws concerning community benefit societies the Trust cannot represent anyone other than their members.

Also, you gave an erroneous number of the votes (although it only took me two or three minutes to find the correct number) and seemingly picked a figure of the total number of fans from the air, where does 15,000 come from? I think from earlier discussions here and elsewhere it's been suggested about 10,000 different people come to City games in the home sections over a normal season, though whether they would all call themselves City fans only they can say.
I think we're going round in circles. I merely stated that 5% of City fans vote in Trust elections. This was challenged by the usual Trust devotees. I backed up my claim. As I just said to ramone, 23,000 people subscribe to the Exeter City email newsletter. So 15,000 is a conservative estimate.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
With the greatest of respect, I know the internal politics of the club well. It has nothing to do with money. It is to do with control and power.
That's alright Ed, no worries, I know nothing about the politics. I do hold the view rightly or wrongly that Tagg has steered the ship for a long time especially in terms of the youth set up eventually paying off, so have always assumed he was the kingpin up there

ex_user1234

Resigned
Afraid it does unless you can prove there are 15,000 City fans who want a voice.
I never said they want a voice. I merely stated that 95% of City fans do not vote in Trust elections.