• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grecians 1 Chiefs 0

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you read the statement, it says that Flybe failed to conclude the commercial agreement, which implies that sponsorship payment was not, as some suggest, upfront. One would presume that the deal with City would have been on similar terms, so I guess we will have missed out on a portion of this season's sponsorship?
Not quite. It says that 'Flybe failed to conclude the commercial agreement' which suggests to me that at least some, if not the majority, of the payment was upfront. I'd wager that Flybe paid for their sponsorship ahead of the season and, as I understand is the case at City, another payment may become due at the end of the season, according to whether or not the club has achieved a number pre-defined goals.

In any case, you'd know better than me, but I can't help thinking this is all a bit of a red herring. Surely, if Exeter Chiefs are owed money by Flybe then they, and any other creditors, should pursue this with the administrators?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not quite. It says that 'Flybe failed to conclude the commercial agreement' which suggests to me that at least some, if not the majority, of the payment was upfront. I'd wager that Flybe paid for their sponsorship ahead of the season and, as I understand is the case at City, another payment may become due at the end of the season, according to whether or not the club has achieved a number pre-defined goals.

In any case, you'd know better than me, but I can't help thinking this is all a bit of a red herring. Surely, if Exeter Chiefs are owed money by Flybe then they, and any other creditors, should pursue this with the administrators?
Without knowing the parameters of the agreement we clearly won't know, but if we are chasing through the administrators, I doubt we would be anywhere near the top of the list...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Regardless, Chiefs have got themselves thousands (if not more) pounds worth of bad publicity, which they could have turned into good news story, for the sake of half a dozen tickets worth at most a couple of hundred quid.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Without knowing the parameters of the agreement we clearly won't know, but if we are chasing through the administrators, I doubt we would be anywhere near the top of the list...
On Radio Devon on Saturday Julian Tagg said that the shirt sponsorship had been paid and that no monies were due the amount being around the £50k mark, and that after earlier in the year the commercial team were already onto trying to find a new shirt sponsor. One thing he also quipped about was the possibility of getting a new shirt sponsor for the rest of the season now that Flybe have gone smacked, he did say that it is an area that they hadn't considered but probably could be looked into, could be attractive if we make the playoffs and the TV coverage for the new sponsor!

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
With regard to the Chiefs you wouldn't put a shirt sponsor on a shirt without prior payment, as it could end up as free advertising, and as we have seen the Chiefs won't give anything away for free. Still should have honoured the tickets!

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
Wonder how much schmoozing and freebies went towards the planning application for that hotel, much more than those Flybe tickets i'd imagine.

Colesman Ballz

Awful response by the Chiefs. Would an apology have been that difficult?
I am in total agreement with you Hants. A pompous statement, attempting to justify the unjustifiable, right down to the way he signed it, "Tony Rowe OBE, Hon LLD. Chairman & Chief Executive, Exeter Rugby Club. " It would have been more appropriate to put Chief(s) Scrooge !

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
you wouldn't put a shirt sponsor on a shirt without prior payment, as it could end up as free advertising
Whats the value of free advertising to a company that no longer exists?

Grecian2K

I am in total agreement with you Hants. A pompous statement, attempting to justify the unjustifiable, right down to the way he signed it, "Tony Rowe OBE, Hon LLD. Chairman & Chief Executive, Exeter Rugby Club. " It would have been more appropriate to put Chief(s) Scrooge !
They're not called "Exeter Thiefs" for nuffink!

Rosencrantz

Just seen Tony Rowe's interview on Spotlight doubling down on the hard nose business response. The way he said about the Chiefs giving away free tickets was said very grudgingly. Only one professional club in the city where community has a meaning it seems beyond how much money can this make.