• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe Struggling (as ever)

Fareham Grecian

Quite apart from all the problems for employees and passengers, Flybe’s will be very big shoes to fill for the club.
To save me going back through 40 pages on this thread, does anyone know approx how much the sponsorship brings in per year?

i8cornwall

Feel really bad for the staff, those are the people that matter in this mess.

Not sure if this is the right time to ask but will Flybe still be on the team shirts for the rest of this season?

If not is there scope to replace it this season with a local charity a best option till the summer?

jimmy

An organisation not in the local area? We are a professional football club
I've just had a look at other League Two shirt sponsors. Almost all of them are local businesses. I imagine the university could be a viable future sponsor?

Or perhaps we will join the Paddy Power 'save our shirt' gang.

Are T A J Hibberd still going :p

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
There was the incident a few years ago where the club talked openly about the sponsorship issue and Flybe threw their toys out of the pram big time.
See the Express and Error Saturday 29th November 2008. Flybe were fully within their rights to go ballistic. Paul Morrish who was the Commercial Director at the Club, was an utter buffoon. He had taken over the negotiations with Flybe and went on an orgy of bragging and self promotion over the outcome. He came bouncing into a Trust Board meeting to boast how he had done a deal with them that would be worth more than the Trust's annual contributions with his "negotiating skills". Worse still he then went public by announcing it a fans forum, and the Echo carried the story. The public announcement was due to me made in mid to late January. It was so unprofessional and naturally Flybe didn't like the implication that they had been out smarted and were on the point of walking away. Only intense negotiations by the likes of Julian and Denise Watts led to them continuing, but on the basis that all future negotiations would be through Julian or Bruce Henderson. Imho Morrish should have "fallen on his sword" and if not, sacked.

IndoMike

An article in today's Devon Live reminds us that Flybe was a very attentive and at times generous partner. It is a shame that it has gone t*ts up but the capitalist world takes no prisoners
Hopefully City can find an equally suitable replacement sponsor and forge a long and successful relationship. Promotion would help in any negotiations

jimmy

Not sure if this is the right time to ask but will Flybe still be on the team shirts for the rest of this season?

If not is there scope to replace it this season with a local charity a best option till the summer?
Perhaps even the trust could be the sponsor for the remaining two months?

Colesman Ballz

I've just had a look at other League Two shirt sponsors. Almost all of them are local businesses. I imagine the university could be a viable future sponsor?

Or perhaps we will join the Paddy Power 'save our shirt' gang.
As of about twelve months ago, we had the third longest running shirt sponsorship, with only Accrington and Bury's being longer. And I think that was in the EFL as a whole, and possibly the Premier League as well. They will be sorely missed. And it wasn't philanthropic either, and they fully analysed the "bang per buck" they received. I believe it was structured too, with a base figure with bonuses depending on success. There standard football shirt sponsorships ( with the likes of Southampton and Birmingham ) lasted for 3 years, as they found the returns tailed off there after. So it is even more remarkable that it has lasted for 17 seasons ! It has been a brilliant association.

Colesman Ballz

Even in administration, the Company still exists and therefore we may still be obliged to fulfill our side of the contract. Bearing in mind the short time left in this season, it would be very expensive exercise replacing all the kit etc just for less than a couple of months. There would be lead in times for ordering and manufacture too. I personally feel it would be better concentrating on a new deal for next season, and retaining things as they are, and it would be a fitting tribute to our long association too.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stuart James' article.