• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crawley Town Matchday Thread

ryancooper327

I still think a pen. Certainly not stone wall though.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jesus, clear penalty that.

Colesman Ballz

Definitely a pen ! And what was very telling was that Randell walked over to the llno, no doubt to ask very politely why he hadn't flagged it !

STURTZ

Looks a good shout but I would imagine most of the people on the big bank, in their heart of hearts knows that Randall had lost that ball and went down as an after thought. Could have been yet another assist for the lad though!

That, the cross for Bowman's glaring miss, the goal itself, may have been a bad day for Randall but he is still, far and away our chief provider!

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

It all depends what angle you're looking from. From that angle it looks possible, from where I was stood (about four paces from Sturtz who seems to share the same opinion) it wasn't.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
A lot of fans think that if a player goes down for a foul when the challenge isn't strong enough to bring him down then it can't be a foul. This isn't correct. If the player making the challenge impedes the player on the ball without contact to the ball it has to be a foul, it doesn't matter if the player then decides to go to ground to appeal for the penalty. The ball isn't travelling fast enough for the ref to know whether Williams would get to it anyway, but it doesn't matter once that challenge goes in, the defender has fouled Williams. In League Two those might not be given but in leagues where professionals are more highly paid it would be given nine times out of ten. It wouldn't matter what angle it would have been seen from at the time.

chunkymorrinmunter

It all depends what angle you're looking from. From that angle it looks possible, from where I was stood (about four paces from Sturtz who seems to share the same opinion) it wasn't.
was he booked for diving then ?

StudentGrecian

I think looking at how the Crawley defender goes down makes it clear that he made contact, so it should have been a pen.
Have to say that on the day I didn’t think it was a pen from my view on the bank though.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
On Bowman, 'he can't head and he can't shoot' yet he's scored 13 goals so far this season and should get 16-17 by the end of the season, exactly what you'd want for the type of forward that he is.
On Ajose, I can't help thinking that he would be far more effective if Matt Jay was playing rather Nicky Law. Matt's first thought when he gets the ball is always about getting the ball forward as quickly and as positively as possible which when you're trying to make runs off of the back of your marker is the sort of service you want. Nicky Law is about ball retention first so Ajose runs are often missed.
What about playing Matt Jay up front instead of Ajose? That way both Law and Jay can be in the same team.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think looking at how the Crawley defender goes down makes it clear that he made contact, so it should have been a pen.
I think the sheepish look by the defender towards the ref says it all - Pen for me