• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hadn't realised that
All true, Crocks. The late owner made his considerable wealth by selling bananas at Swindon's and other markets.

tonykellowfan

I dont think we should get too negative. Taylor is still learning the job we are clearly better than last year when we had Stockley for half the season. Autos or playoffs is still the likely outcome this season. We would all like to see more goals but defensively we have been superb this year. We probably need a decent striker if are to press on. If we get a windfall from Watkins being sold in the summer we will have the cash to strengthen that position.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ed, we have players who are more than capable of retaining possession in midfield. Bowman is more than capable of holding the ball up. Our biggest issue is putting the ball in the net. The proof is in the goal difference column. We have the worst goal difference in the top seven and by a long way. Why? Because we don't score enough goals. Why? Because our poacher in chief has been out injured and instead of playing a young lad who knows what he is doing up front and only needed a run of games to bed in before we started to see the fruits of his labour, Taylor insisted on playing a midfielder who has about as much idea of playing up front as our poacher in chief has about playing full back, and you wouldn't play Nicky Ajose at full back so why play Lee Martin up front? Over a continual period he offers very, very little. Both City and Swindon lost 3-1 last Tuesday. It barely registered on Swindon but on ours it looks awful.
Lee Martin has played as a forward at a higher level of football than League 2, with some level of success. He might not be either a target man or a fox-in-the-box, but that doesn't mean he's useless. Not sure why you bang on about this all the time. Explaining the concept of scoring goals to people. We get it. Its not hard to understand. I'd like to see Ajose in the side if he's fit. But failing to see that Martin offers anything says more about you than it does him, I'm afraid.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
No crystal ball, I'm just a realist.
Good to know that other teams will blow out and we don't have to worry, I'd like to think we can concentrate on our team rather than worry/hoping other teams results go awry

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to know that other teams will blow out and we don't have to worry, I'd like to think we can concentrate on our team rather than worry/hoping other teams results go awry
I never said other teams would blow out. I said that there was 16 games left and the table will change each week. The other teams around us aren't going to win every game. In 2 weeks time the table will look completely different again. Your over the top reaction to something I said is reminding me of my wife.

grecIAN Harris

Lee Martin has played as a forward at a higher level of football than League 2, with some level of success. He might not be either a target man or a fox-in-the-box, but that doesn't mean he's useless. Not sure why you bang on about this all the time. Explaining the concept of scoring goals to people. We get it. Its not hard to understand. I'd like to see Ajose in the side if he's fit. But failing to see that Martin offers anything says more about you than it does him, I'm afraid.
I tell you why I bang on about him because I have stood and watched him every home game being at least ten yards away from he should be and then watched opportunity after opportunity go abegging because he's not even been close to where he should have been and then, especially in the early part of the season, listen to Matt Taylor bemoaning the amount of wasted opportunities. Frustration doesn't even begin to describe the feeling. Any monkey can run around and work hard, it's a pre requisit for a pro footballer. God only knows what you think success in front of goal is. His highest amount of goals scored for any club is six prior to this season. That is six goals throughout his entire duration with that club.

Last edited:

DB9

I never said other teams would blow out. I said that there was 16 games left and the table will change each week. The other teams around us aren't going to win every game. In 2 weeks time the table will look completely different again. Your over the top reaction to something I said is reminding me of my wife.
You did, You said by the time we play Pl*****h their form would have dropped, You can't say that for sure, Just like, As much as I'd love it we'll win every game from now til the end of the season

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any monkey can run around and work hard, it's a pre requisit for a pro footballer.
That's not really all he does. I get your point that he's not really a proper striker. His problem is really that he's never nailed down exactly what his position is. You've done the "10 yards behind" thing to death. Everyone else sees it, you're not the only one. You're just the only one who fails to see what he DOES bring.

STFC since 1879

Before he was sacked, Mark Cooper brought on some good young players for Swindon that Power sold on an doubtlessly gave him the dosh to Purchase the "Twelve Oaks Golf Course" just outside Higworth on the Lechlade road. The late owner of the course also had footy pitch installed but some falling out with the team's management saw it only briefly used. The golf course may have been only a nine-holer with some pretty ropey greens but it was my course til Swindon bleeding Town buggered it up. ;)
Well put and as I have already said Power wasn't wanted but at the time he was the only option with the strong possiblity STFC would be bankrupted. As you have stated Cooper brought on some good youngsters ans Power cashed in but we also can't forget the mess Di Canio left us in.
So living in or around Swindon do you ever watch them or is your allegiance solely Exeter City

Last edited:

Red Devon

I tell you why I bang on about him because I have stood and watched him every home game being at least ten yards away from he should be and then watched opportunity after opportunity go abegging because he's not even been close to where he should have been and then, especially in the early part of the season, listen to Matt Taylor bemoaning the amount of wasted opportunities. Frustration doesn't even begin to describe the feeling. Any monkey can run around and work hard, it's a pre requisit for a pro footballer. God only knows what you think success in front of goal is. His highest amount of goals scored for any club is six prior to this season. That is six goals throughout his entire duration with that club.

Ajose just has to start against Stevenage on Saturday I’m not totally convinced by Fisher’s goal scoring record but someone else other than Bowman deserves to be given a chance after Bowman’s recent performances....Matt Jay likewise should come in again after scoring another two goals against Stevenage in the Leasiings.