• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
England and the English are only ever mentioned by the left in order to highlight a negative, be it in attitude or voting patterns.
The reason I made the distinction is to make the point that there is a specific issue in U.K. politics, and that is the needs and wants of provincial England outside of the metropolitan areas.
Why haven't Labour seen that losing Scotland to the SNP meant they will never win an election and Wales to a smaller extent? Labour just thought if they get enough MP's in London and other big cities then that will do. I did read, Though i can't confirm it Corbyn during the election campagin never visited a factory, building site or Council est instead they kept him at managed meetings, I know others did the same but he wanted to be PM, he needed to be at these places, Ignoring your core voters and their concerns were a death nail

Alistair20000

From what I remember these ideas did gain some traction in the late 80s/early nineties - "the enabling state" for example (rather than a state that simply did things to or for people). The 92 election was lost, and the Blair/Brown project was very top down "Lehmann Bros et al will pay lots of tax and we'll use that money to look after you, while the economy and state will stay almost totally unreformed". This approach won elections, so remained unchallenged until Corbyn came along and, as the article points out, he didn't really challenge it either. The wasted opportunities presented by that 175 majority in 1997 should haunt those responsible as much as the Iraq War does...
So what should the Reverend Blair have done in 1997 art ? As you say he had immense political power with that majority.

tavyred

The story of the GE was Labour prioritising it’s middle class metropolitan voters and it’s hard left membership in the hope that the ‘red wall’ stayed intact. As we know it didn’t.

Oldsmobile-88

Why haven't Labour seen that losing Scotland to the SNP meant they will never win an election and Wales to a smaller extent? Labour just thought if they get enough MP's in London and other big cities then that will do. I did read, Though i can't confirm it Corbyn during the election campagin never visited a factory, building site or Council est instead they kept him at managed meetings, I know others did the same but he wanted to be PM, he needed to be at these places, Ignoring your core voters and their concerns were a death nail
I’m pretty sure all of the leadership hustings are in the bigger city’s....They would be better off having them & listening in the smaller city’s & towns.
That’s where they lost the election

DB9

I’m pretty sure all of the leadership hustings are in the bigger city’s....They would be better off having them & listening in the smaller city’s & towns.
That’s where they lost the election
Exactly right, Corbyn though was the most "Toxic" leader since Foot in 1983 and he needed to visit the so called heartlands but he didn't until less than a week before the election when the damage was already done

Grecian2K

So Johnson and/or Baroness Frog-eyes have given (qualified) support to Huawei over 5G.

Oh dear, Big Donny ain't gonna like it. Add to this the outrage he's already expressed over the proposed "Tech Tax" and I fear that "the l'il old United Kingdom of England have got it wrong...BIGLY WRONG".

Roll on those trade talks!!!

tavyred

So Johnson and/or Baroness Frog-eyes have given (qualified) support to Huawei over 5G.

Oh dear, Big Donny ain't gonna like it. Add to this the outrage he's already expressed over the proposed "Tech Tax" and I fear that "the l'il old United Kingdom of England have got it wrong...BIGLY WRONG".

Roll on those trade talks!!!
You failed to mention that Brexit was supposed to make Boris the poodle of Trump’s America. I have a feeling that had BJ acquiesced to the Yanks, you’d be criticising him for that and no doubt making some point about selling the NHS off.

Grecian2K

Those talks haven't even begun yet.
And Trump is already proven as a nasty, vindictive and unpredictable presence when he doesn't get everything his own way.
I'd feel a lot more sanguine about our post-Brexit future were it not for the increasing likelihood of DT as POTUS for another four years.

IndoMike

Looks as though Johnson has stood pretty firm against Washington pressure to allow the introduction of Huawei 5G. Credit where credit is due. Think he's made the right
Those talks haven't even begun yet.
And Trump is already proven as a nasty, vindictive and unpredictable presence when he doesn't get everything his own way.
I'd feel a lot more sanguine about our post-Brexit future were it not for the increasing likelihood of DT as POTUS for another four years.
I thought it was Boris that was supposed to be taking back control of the UK, not Trump. Here come those punitive taxes, folks.

tavyred

Looking forward to seeing "The Windermere Children" which is on BBC2 tonight about 305 child survivers from the Holocaust who were taken to Lake Windermere to recover and make new lives after losing their families. It's a story I am not too familiar with.
Thanks Rosencrantz for the heads up for this programme. Like you I hadn’t been aware of this story and I’m not ashamed to say I found it very moving in parts. Thanks again.