• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City versus Oxford Utd EFL Trophy discussion thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Must say 2 of the 3 saves by Visser were impressive, not many keepers would of stopped the 1st and 3rd pens.
Their penalties were actually better taken than ours.
I had to laugh,there was a young lad(Quinn) who managed to get behind the goal when Oxfords players were on strike,waving his scarf to distract them :D

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's all very frustrating. If there was a game locally I'd be interested because I'd quite like to see some of the youngsters play. But I'd no idea if I would want to travel to Milton Keynes or Stevenage to see them.
It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be if one of these b teams made the final. They only deem it a success on the final attendance. Which wasn't really a surprise last season considering the two best supported teams in the lower two divisions were in it.

tonykellowfan

To look on the positive side, several players who would be bench warming got decent run outs and that can only help them particularly the younger players.

Visser is now putting pressure on the manager to play on Saturday and that can only be a good thing.

Colesman Ballz

The crux and why I boycott is that the Premier League are involved for one reason only, which is ultimately to get their B teams allowed into the EFL. This would effectively destroy the Football League competition for the fans of every other club. If the format of the league remains unchanged that would mean 20 Clubs pushed into non league, and what would happen to Clubs relegated from the Premier, would they be allowed to maintain B teams. By offering the carrot of money for the competition, which is being gobbled up by struggling clubs, they will make teams reliant on this. In the long term clubs are shooting themselves in the foot by going along with this. Yes it may be good for Matt to play fringe and youth players, but in the long run our major competition the EFL, could be devalued, changed beyond all recognition and rendered totally meaningless ! The Premier League have already devalued the FA Cup and League Cup by putting out carp teams, getting rules changed, to scrap replays, move later round games to midweek etc. They care nothing for fans or supporters of other teams. only themselves. There is so much more to football, than just the wrecking ball of the Premiership, and EFL Clubs should stop and realise that they are "turkeys voting for Xmas".

Legohead

Banned
Good post CB. Interesting points.

Just say God forbid that B teams were introduced into the EFL. Couldn't the EFL teams pull out of the league and form a new league or something? I'm just pulling daft ideas out of thin air at the moment in order to suggest alternatives if clubs like us didn't want to play ball. If all the EFL clubs did this then the B teams would have to introduce C teams to be able to have any opposition.

Tim Long

Must say 2 of the 3 saves by Visser were impressive, not many keepers would of stopped the 1st and 3rd pens.
Their penalties were actually better taken than ours.
Second one was 'kidology'; Visser was throwing his left arm to that side but putting his weight on right foot as if he was about to dive to his right. Taker bought it and put ball to Visser's left, which was the way he dived.

Colesman Ballz

Second one was 'kidology'; Visser was throwing his left arm to that side but putting his weight on right foot as if he was about to dive to his right. Taker bought it and put ball to Visser's left, which was the way he dived.
Are you challenging for Pate's position ? With insightful posts like that, you might make a decent fist of it (unlike Maxted).

Tim Long

The highlight of the match for me was Karl Robinson's 'Accidental Partridge' when trying to get Dan Agyei's attention when he was on the far side of the field. Think it was only eight shouts of "Dan" rather than the full fifteen.

Oldsmobile-88

Very eloquently put CB.
The problem stems from the governance of the EFL.One only has to look at the last year with various issues about clubs finances to see they cannot see the elephant in the room.

With Amazon Prime on the scene now pumping more money into the PL.
The issue of the strength of the top division in the English league is not going away any time soon.

Crazy TV monies which started 3 decades ago will dictate the game well into the future.Unless the EFL completely breaks away from the PL purse strings,the scenarios you mention could happen..But as we know all clubs rely on the cascading of TV cash from the PL TV deals...Will turkeys vote for Christmas ?

Tim Long

Are you challenging for Pate's position ? With insightful posts like that, you might make a decent fist of it (unlike Maxted).
Looking for accommodation in Arizona as we speak...