• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad news about Mr James.
As well as superb writing his musical and poetic collaborations with Pete Atkin way back in the day were excellent.
Just check out "The Road of Silk" if you can ever get a hold of it!

Alistair20000

Clive James has passed away. Great writer and always enjoyed his TV shows bringing the worlds weird TV shows to our screens. Particularly the bonkers Japanese game shows.

See above (Jason beat me to it).

Three people who I have much admired all gone today.
I would like to second that.

RIP

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
A great Writer & Broadcaster.
Unreliable Memoirs By Clive James.

An amusing anecdote in the book was that all the blokes wanted to deflower the best looking girl in the Aussie scrub village where he lived only for an itinerant Scotsman to beat them to it.

STURTZ

Liked Clive James description of the hirsuit Demis Roussos (in a kaftan) as looking like a technicoloured refuse sack being attacked by rats.

Spoonz Red E

I liked Clive James.
Just the right mix of self doubt and outspoken confidence for a good comic and thinker.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As well as his broadcasting, I loved his work as a TV critic - which I would read and imagine him saying the words which would bring them to life and cause me to laugh out loud. Somewhere at home I've got one collection of his, "The Crystal Bucket", which is superb.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As well as his broadcasting, I loved his work as a TV critic - which I would read and imagine him saying the words which would bring them to life and cause me to laugh out loud. Somewhere at home I've got one collection of his, "The Crystal Bucket", which is superb.
The books of his reviews that we had in our house fell apart in the end. Read too often! I hadn't seen many of the programmes he'd written about, but after reading his reviews felt that I had! A standard of writing to aspire to.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Demis Roussos
Coming over the airwaves at the Indoor Market down at Exmouth on Monday. Had the bleddy tune in my head all the way home.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Thoughts go out to the families and friends of the people murdered and attacked on London Bridge today.
As for the POS that committed this attack I hope you burn in hell.