• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City Matchday Thread 29/9/2018

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree with pretty much all of that. I thought the referee was excellent, and I wondered what he was doing in a low League 2 game. He kept up with play tremendously well, and I didnt think he got much wrong, except a valid looking penalty claim from them. I can only assume the referee took that five minutes shown into consideration, but added more for the time Pym was down. That looked more than five minutes alone to me.
Pete the Pym injury was in normal time. The referee’s decision would have taken his injury into account. Are you suggesting he decided that he had initially made an error and was correcting it by playing the still further additional time.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK, one of the luxuries of having iFollow is that you can replay the game afterwards or drag it back to a point you want to look at again.

On 90 minutes the final whistle blows and both teams make a substitution with the clock already ticking for time added on. This takes 40 seconds. During the next five minutes there are a couple of throw ins, one of which is deliberately delayed by about 20 seconds by us, a free kick to them outside the box which takes 40 seconds to set up, and then a goal kick to us which Pym delays for about ten unnecessary seconds. A corner is awarded to them on 96m 05 secs, questioned by the commentators as over time but by my reckoning not so. The corner is taken after a 20 sec delay and Port Vale equalise at 96 mins and 32secs. I haven't counted all the actual stoppage time here, and I realise that a lot of refs ignore natural stoppage time and just add on obvious time wasting, but the substitutions plus our delaying taking our set pieces definitely takes the time to longer than the 96m 5 sec which means the corner should have gone ahead. It's difficult to see any ref stopping play in the following few seconds it takes them to score. I think the ref then makes the mistake of adding on all the time that their player is down injured subsequently, when there could only have been another 30 secs max to play left of the 5 mins, so that was bizarre, but overall I can see a good case for the time added on to take until they scored. Again, I realise most refs would have blown on 96 mins but not all refs are the same unfortunately so there are inconsistencies.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pete the Pym injury was in normal time. The referee’s decision would have taken his injury into account. Are you suggesting he decided that he had initially made an error and was correcting it by playing the still further additional time.
I can only assume something like that SB. I fully expected that board to show 7 minutes minimum when you add in 30 seconds for all the subs. The referee doesnt have to accept what the board shows, and I can only assume he felt there should be more, no matter how it was arrived at. I think he was about right overall, but he had an unfortunate way of showing it.

fred binneys head

Most annoying thing about today was the bunch of kids who were up at the back singing then decided to go down the front and then spend the game turned round beckoning everyone to sing. If they’d stayed at the back with us the noise would have been much better - what’s the point in moving away from where the noise is then moan that the noise isn’t loud enough? Good job we scored as that galvanised the singing.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
30 seconds for subs Antman ?

Oldsmobile-88

That was a sickener.To concede so late,it felt like a defeat at Vale Park.Excellent support as usual.350 if I heard correctly.

A good display.Lee Martin was my MOM,Luke Croll was also excellent today.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

OK, one of the luxuries of having iFollow is that you can replay the game afterwards or drag it back to a point you want to look at again.

On 90 minutes the final whistle blows and both teams make a substitution with the clock already ticking for time added on. This takes 40 seconds. During the next five minutes there are a couple of throw ins, one of which is deliberately delayed by about 20 seconds by us, a free kick to them outside the box which takes 40 seconds to set up, and then a goal kick to us which Pym delays for about ten unnecessary seconds. A corner is awarded to them on 96m 05 secs, questioned by the commentators as over time but by my reckoning not so. The corner is taken after a 20 sec delay and Port Vale equalise at 96 mins and 32secs. I haven't counted all the actual stoppage time here, and I realise that a lot of refs ignore natural stoppage time and just add on obvious time wasting, but the substitutions plus our delaying taking our set pieces definitely takes the time to longer than the 96m 5 sec which means the corner should have gone ahead. It's difficult to see any ref stopping play in the following few seconds it takes them to score. I think the ref then makes the mistake of adding on all the time that their player is down injured subsequently, when there could only have been another 30 secs max to play left of the 5 mins, so that was bizarre, but overall I can see a good case for the time added on to take until they scored. Again, I realise most refs would have blown on 96 mins but not all refs are the same unfortunately so there are inconsistencies.
You got it about right Ant. I was going to replay the final sequence of events as you have (I might still!) but I think the actual time added was still somewhat short. I do think the referee was his own man re: the time shown on the board, but as you say, consistancy is lacking on the added time sequence.

PeteUSA

Are you picking him up over an added minute (two subs)? That was to our advantage surely?

Stelios

Thanks Ant. Very informative. Stoppage time always drags forever on the radio when you're defending a 1 goal lead.

I just find it frustrating that we see all these tactics every game from every team in the country but most games don't go beyond 96 minutes. That is what is so frustrating and it's happened the last two away games we've been winning by a single goal.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just timed it again on the stopwatch. the time between full time whistle and whistle to restart play is actually longer than 40 secs.