• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC vs Stevenage FC Official Match Day Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Any news on why Christy Pym was missing from the squad?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a truly dreadful game. If anyone thought we were unlucky not to win on Tuesday we certainly fluked a point today in a game we were second best in all over the pitch from the first minute to last - Stevenage must be wondering who they've upset upstairs to not have completely strolled to three points today.

I presume Pym must be injured as not even on the bench today but even so an injured Pym is a more reliable keeper than Olejnik who compounded the defenders' lame non tackles to dive over the ball for their goal. Tillson as well is not an able deputy for Taylor, although with the utter liability James on the pitch then surely anyone would struggle along side him.

Listened to Tis on the way home and have to say I completely disagreed with pretty much everything he said: he said he was happy with how we played, that we were good, that he didn't feel the need to say anything at half time and that he changed it at the start of the second half and it was obvious to see we were more attacking. Tosh: we were sh*te and very very lucky to get anything today.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any news on why Christy Pym was missing from the squad?
Hand / wrist injury apparently. Not too serious, I hope.

Poundstretcher

I presume Pym must be injured as not even on the bench today but even so an injured Pym is a more reliable keeper than Olejnik who compounded the defenders' lame non tackles to dive over the ball for their goal. Tillson as well is not an able deputy for Taylor, although with the utter liability James on the pitch then surely anyone would struggle along side him.
In fairness to Olejnik, the covering defender who threw himself across the shot got something on the ball which then deflected it under Olejnik, and James, whilst guilty of giving the ball away more than a couple of times, did put the cross in for the equaliser.

All things considered, we were far from our best, but had a team who was just won four on the bounce happily time wasting and running the clock down to take a point. Onwards and upwards...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The lino on the Flybe (whatever) side missed numerous Stevenage handballs, so missing Reuben's was no surprise.
As well as numerous shirt pulling incidents by Stevenage players.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Stevenage looked a decent side pinged the ball around and you can see why they have been on a decent run.
We weren't so fluent today missed Jake Taylors engine in midfield.
Thought Stacey was the rightful MOM , to many other players off the pace today.
Bobby O looked rusty kicking was shocking - pretty sure there was a deflection for the goal.

Now to the officials who as a collective were awful today - equally so for both sides - handball did not exist in the game as I am sure our goal will reveal. Never in control of the game the linesman on the IP Office Stand Side (think that's the name - anyway the doble stand) might aswell not have been there and when he did flag the ref gave it the opposite way !

Anyway draw was a fair result onwards and upwards

denzil

What a truly dreadful game. If anyone thought we were unlucky not to win on Tuesday we certainly fluked a point today in a game we were second best in all over the pitch from the first minute to last - Stevenage must be wondering who they've upset upstairs to not have completely strolled to three points today.

Listened to Tis on the way home and have to say I completely disagreed with pretty much everything he said: he said he was happy with how we played, that we were good, that he didn't feel the need to say anything at half time and that he changed it at the start of the second half and it was obvious to see we were more attacking. Tosh: we were sh*te and very very lucky to get anything today.
Spot on Moxers ! Second best to everything in a dire first half and TBH not much better in the second save for the goal.
What an absolutely ****e referee today.

PeteUSA

I presume Pym must be injured as not even on the bench today but even so an injured Pym is a more reliable keeper than Olejnik who compounded the defenders' lame non tackles to dive over the ball for their goal.
Ant, I know you were there in the vicinity of the camera; How on earth can you blame Olejnik for that goal? It took a monumental deflection after BO had commited himself! Almost a carbon copy of the one v Notts County that Pym let in. BO didnt have an earthly with that!

PeteUSA

Dont you think that the crap he spouted illustrated the fact that he's not a proper manager, which I suggested yesterday? He's a top quality PE teacher, but football manager? No way.

Antony Moxey

Ant, I know you were there in the vicinity of the camera; How on earth can you blame Olejnik for that goal? It took a monumental deflection after BO had commited himself! Almost a carbon copy of the one v Notts County that Pym let in. BO didnt have an earthly with that!
It went straight under him, there's no way a keeper should ever let a ball go under him, especially when he's only two feet off the ground in the first place.

Poor, poor goal to concede all round - their guy must have skipped past a dozen non tackles before getting his shot off, it just about summed up just how non commital and second best to everything we were today. Hopefully we won't be as lacklustre next weekend.