• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient - Official Matchday Thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at the YouTube highlights, now the euphoria of yesterday has calmed down, anyone think, the third one wasn't a penalty, there was a handball and offside in the 4th, and that their attempt in the first thirty seconds could of crossed the line? Creating a very different game?

On the other hand....3 points, 4-0 win, UTC!
Whoa there ! Be careful, you are starting to sound like the Cactusville Kid. After years of misery lets just enjoy a little ray of sunshine, and be happy !:D

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the YouTube highlights, now the euphoria of yesterday has calmed down, anyone think, the third one wasn't a penalty, there was a handball and offside in the 4th, and that their attempt in the first thirty seconds could of crossed the line? Creating a very different game?

The third was one where I'd hate to be in the officials' shoes as it was very borderline - my instinct on seeing the goals last night was that it was marginally outside. But hey, didn't we have a strong penalty shout turned down earlier in the match?

For the fourth it appears to be offside when the camera pans to McAlinden, but the Orient players didn't seem to protest - maybe they were too shell-shocked by then to bother.

Red Monster

What about the stonewall penalty that wasn't given when Watkins was taken out ?

Great win for City and glad the loyal fans are getting some joy. We are in a good place right now : confidence growing, good competition for places, several players on fire. But the next 4 games are tough and will show how good we are. Losing Watkins, especially if for peanuts, will also be a blow. You'd think that the heat on Tisdale and the addition of the coaches has had an important influence. I'll be back in Exeter soon, so keep it up lads!
Apart from a shaky start when they could have scored with a header from 6 yards out early on (smart save from Pym) we generally bossed the game and had much more creativity than Orient-who as an example used the same technique each time from their 5 kick-offs showing little or no imagination either on or off the field!
The difference from earlier in the season is down to a number of factors but the ones I liked yesterday (and also on Saturday played on a poor surface) were the energy levels/closing down/supporting each other/getting stuck in when needed and the elimination of basic errors at the back.
Up front Simpson takes too long to get moving and has a heavy first touch-I admire his guts and determination to mix it but he isn't what we need in the side. Surprised that McAlinden operated on the right when he was so effective against Newport on the left.
Pleased with Harley overall but just wish that he could get a bit tighter on his man even if he remains a reluctant tackler-we were often a bit too exposed in the first half on our left leaving Woody with a bit too much to do. They failed to capitalise on this and didn't show the same enthusiasm for this flank in the second half.
Agree that they could have nicked an early goal but then again we could easily have had a couple more with better decision making in and around the box in both halves.

Alistair20000

The third was one where I'd hate to be in the officials' shoes as it was very borderline - my instinct on seeing the goals last night was that it was marginally outside. But hey, didn't we have a strong penalty shout turned down earlier in the match?

For the fourth it appears to be offside when the camera pans to McAlinden, but the Orient players didn't seem to protest - maybe they were too shell-shocked by then to bother.

Yep they had pretty much thrown in the towel by then. I was surprised at just how poor they were as a team although their number 11 right winger did put over three decent crosses in the first few minutes which was slightly worrying with the big men they had up front. Fortunately big but not very good. :D

My thoughts in real time from the Big Bank were that the penalty was just outside the box and the 4th goal did have the suspicion of offside. Makes up for the ones that go the other way though.

Gordon Dale

Alistair: Really enjoyed the match. Wheeler's opener was sheer class and changed the pattern of the game. Great run ...as forecast ! Shame about the 0-0 at Yeovil otherwise I would have been really in the money! Back on a roll now with Newport and Orient. More to come ...think we might see out a very tricky January unbeaten . Having had such a good run will probably cover the forecast win with a saver on the draw!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was surprised at just how poor they were as a team.
I wasn't; they were even worse at their place, though we only won 1-0 it should have been 3 or 4.

This result and those at Cheltenham and Newport make the bore draw at Yeovil even more inexplicable to this iggerant eejit... I suppose we over-estimated Yeovil?

But maybe we are getting too excited about beating three of the 4 worst teams in the division (the other being Notts County, who I see have sacked Sheridan today)?

ECFC89

What about the stonewall penalty that wasn't given when Watkins was taken out ?
Wasn't in the highlights haha, crikey, not having a pop at the win, I'm delighted about it, just a discussion forum, all of which i thought were valid points made by myself.

Gordon Dale

John : To be a successful team ECFC have to beat the likes of 'three of the 4 worst teams in the division'. What one also has to take into account is the extremely competitive nature of League 2 this season. For these reasons alone , City's recent run is commendable .

grecIAN Harris

I think the last time I saw City get a penalty outside the box it was about three or four yards to the right of Saturdays incident and probably three or four yards further back when Peter Rogers got sent flying by a Leicester defender in that cup run during 80/81.