• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton v Exeter Matchday Thread

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok matey, let me know when the missus gives you a pass (rofl)
Okay mate, I'm in charge, I've just delegated all the important decision making to my beloved :)

Silver fox

Okay mate, I'm in charge, I've just delegated all the important decision making to my beloved :)
Who's wearing the trousers tonight?

Avening Posse

Who's wearing the trousers tonight?
Me mate........because I am the only person in :)

Silver fox

Lucky bugger, I've got a sour faced trout asleep on the sofa :D

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wheeler will be another young talent who has his career wasted by Tisdale. He isn't a ****ong defender!
I feel sorry for Wheeler. Personally I hate the wing back system, and it simply wasn't around in my day. I wasn't a bad winger but couldn't tackle to save my life so I would never have been able to fill a wing back role effectively. Thank God I was always given the opportunity to run at fullbacks and take them on. Starting that run from the halfway line rather than our own goal line was a bonus as well. It certainly made for more open exciting football.

The rigid systems that are employed today do not allow much, and are counter productive to, individual expression. Given a certain amount of freedom, I'm convinced that favourable situations can develop a lot more often than with a rigid system.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If wonder boy is Grimea then I'm glad someone else is willing to expect him to actually deliver something. I keep expecting to see his name on the scoresheet or reports saying he is dominating the game. I see nothing. He never gets a mention in any match reports yet everyone in here bigs him up all the time during the week.
To be fair, he's only been called up to the England U20 squad. But don't let that stop you.

iscalad

To be fair, he's only been called up to the England U20 squad. But don't let that stop you.
Don't worry. it won't.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where grimes played today was fine, just needs to take more chances and shoot, puts in a good shift and pings a lovely ball, tbh , he needs to leave us and challenge himself against better players, imo asap, think as soon as he starts putting a few away and he will, he'll be gone.

budegrecian

Pym was fine in goal today & in front of him the back three defended well.
The three central midfielders all turned in good performances, in my opinion, with Oakley continuing last weeks form, albeit in a different position.
Wheeler did the defensive part of his role very well in the first half but once again tired in the second half & was correctly subbed. A couple of good pull backs but he wasn't a massive attacking threat. Davies didn't really get into the game at all.
The front two didn't look like scoring & I'm not sure if Matt Jay will be physically strong enough, even with a big man beside him, to compete with defenders.
Nicholls, JMT & Butterfield were all warming up before the game & will all be available for next Saturday. The availability of the first two, plus Ribeiro, will certainly improve the starting eleven & give us a bit more goal threat which we badly need.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Last edited: