• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Danny Coles

I dont know of anyone being sacked by a club for mis use of twitter.. Can anyone show me of examples please??

I know cantona kicked a fan once.. he got a ban...

*I am not defending Coles... I am just saying that worse has been done before*
Unsure, but think Marvin Morgan and Leon Knight both did.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Not his own fan that paid his wages was it!!
Dont all fans pay the wages in the end.. not like fans watch football for free like....

edindevon

I dont know of anyone being sacked by a club for mis use of twitter.. Can anyone show me of examples please??

Oxford City player Lee Steele:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-16511735

Nicholas Anelka for WBA:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/nicholas-anelka-sacked-by-west-bromwich-albion-parting-is-such-tweet-sorrow-for-french-striker-9193577.html

Max McKee for Clyde and Kieran Bowell of Berwick Rangers
http://news.stv.tv/west-central/244603-footballer-dean-mclean-under-investigation-after-new-neil-lennon-twitter-comment/

Also Cantona ended up in court and got community service on top of his ban from football...

Last edited:

Edward

I will give you an example _ Lee Steele of Oxford, sacked after posting a homophobic comment regarding Welsh rugby international Gareth Thomas on Twitter. The club deemed that comment to be inconsistent with the club's ethos. Clyde's Max McKee is another and there are many other examples of contracts being terminated because of inappropriate behavior on social media. There should be no hiding place nor any sympathy for Coles. He was hardly provoked.

rp42

Dont all fans pay the wages in the end.. not like fans watch football for free like....
What i'm saying is it was not one of Utds fans was it?if it was i'm sure Utd would've given him the boot(no pun intended)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I will give you an example _ Lee Steele of Oxford, sacked after posting a homophobic comment regarding Welsh rugby international Gareth Thomas on Twitter. The club deemed that comment to be inconsistent with the club's ethos. Clyde's Max McKee is another and there are many other examples of contracts being terminated because of inappropriate behavior on social media. There should be no hiding place nor any sympathy for Coles. He was hardly provoked.
Yep fair point lads... I put it out there. I got the answers..

FAN-TATIC

The fans pay to watch the game, buy their pasty and a pint or two. Having done so the cash that they have handed over in exchange for those goods and services becomes the property of Exeter City FC to do with as they please. Thus it is Exeter City FC who pay the wages with money that is theirs. I have never understood this bollicks about paying their wages. As we have learnt very recently if Exeter City have not got the money, the players don't get paid.

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is that for real Shabba? Jesus wept.
Firstly, I'm not defending Danny Coles tweets at all; secondly, I'm not sure his wife's input is helping the situation.

Be that as it may, I read that particular tweet as an attempt to be facetious - she's not really suggesting her family is going to starve but, rather, joking that some Exeter fans won't be happy until that happens! Some of the abuse she has received from a small minority of City fans on Twitter is completely out of order.

My view, for what it's worth, is that if Danny wants to come back from this then he needs to demonstrate a little bit of humility and contrition, apologise profoundly, and attempt to draw a line under this whole sorry saga. Even then I think his position as captain is probably untenable and it would be in everyone's interest, including his, if the armband went elsewhere this season.

Unfortunately, I think the statement issued by the club is wholly inadequate and unlikely to satisfy 99.9 per cent of supporters, myself included.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I make you right egg... some of the stuff aimed at his mrs has been very very poor..

Just looking at the trend on these issues a google search.. The statement from the club is a response you would get from any type of event that would bring the club into disrepute..

Things need discussing and sorted pronto and could take a week or so to get sorted. Like all the case studies, they the club never sack on the spot.. Some are transferred listed and some contracts are terminated but only after a full investigation is done..

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The man is a complete fool, he is a liability on the pitch as witnessed last season, he clearly lacks maturity, he simply cannot be considered as captain material anymore, and has (again) tarnished the club off the pitch.

His behaviour in my view should lead to no more appearances for us (he's rubbish anyway) and if we cannot dismiss him then a hefty disciplinary hopefully happens. This type of thing really gives me the arse !