• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A message for Paul Tisdale

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where was I trying to defend it. I was mere pointing out that our record over the years suggest we win as many as we lose, a bit like Tisdale's record in derbies.
Lets leave out the JPT and concentrate on the League, as we've always done well against Argyle in the minor competitions e.g. Carling Cup but not when it matters e.g. FA Cup.

Argyle had the run of us whilst we were effectively a bankrupt club, bumping along the bottom of the football league. Now and again they would drop down to our level, do the double over us for a season or three and then haul themselves back up the pyramid (until the next time).

Inglethorpe ensured that, whilst we might have no real money as such, we are no longer financially crippled. For example, we have a well-funded youth set-up producing quality players. To compare the situation Tisdale inherited with the one Fox, Blake, Corney etc had to operate under is plain wrong.

I'll say it again: Tisdale is up there with the likes of Ball, Godfrey and Cooper. His Cup and Derby record isn't.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is it a small club mentality we have? Means that we can't always get up for the big occasions. Not just cup and derby matches, but televised games as well.

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Time to go and manage a club where there is no Derby fixture... You could do well at Torquay ^o)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I know we won the two play offs in the conference but our recent performances in one off type games like derbies and cups doesn't fill me with confidence if we make the play offs. My feeling is that with the tactics employed we may succeed, even yesterday we could have taken a chance and it would have altered how the end of the game had played out IMO. But of course we didn't and when we play that way and lose narrowly it does leave you thinking what a waste.

I was looking forward to yesterday and after wished I hadn't bothered, will probably be sucked in time and time again but right now hope I remember not to bother with it next time. At least then if they play well I will have the consolation of the result even if I wasn't there. We should be going out and giving our all in such games and probably all games but sadly this isn't going to happen so guess I will have to get used to it.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
A derby game with Argyle is NOT "just another game"..........it NEVER has been...........and it NEVER will be.

Until you understand that, we will perform poorly in the vast majority of them.

Having been in the away end at Gnome Park on April 10th 1993, 20 years ago, THE LAST TIME WE WON THERE IN THE LEAGUE, I have, in the time since, been subjected to displays at this fixture that have left me depressed, dismayed and disbelieving that my club could send out a team in THE derby game that matters, with such a lack of fight and seemingly such a lack of understanding about what this fixture means to the fans of this club.

Yesterday was another display that left me so ****ing angry I could scream.

We've been to Gnome Park when Argyle were clearly the better team and have been played off the park in all ways (both technically and through graft); we've been there when the teams were fairly even and have been out-battled; but for the last few years, WE HAVE HAD THE BETTER TEAM AND HAVE STILL LOST BECAUSE THEY HAVE, QUITE SIMPLY, WANTED IT MORE THAN US.

I can forgive the times we lost to a better side, I could even forgive the times we might have been unlucky to lose, but in this fixture, I can NEVER forgive a lack of effort, or losing to them because they are up for the fight and we are not.

Read my first line again - this fixture is NOT "just another game" - it's two Cup Final's a season.......it's how Argyle have played it every season we have met them since we last won there in 1993 and it will be another 20 years (or more) until we win there again, unless YOU Mr Tisdale, instil some drive and belief into our players at Gnome Park that they have to earn the right to win there.

We are a better side than Argyle, in fact, Banton aside Argyle are a poor side (the league table doesn't lie)............yet they looked like world-beaters yesterday because we gave them the opportunity to play in front of their own large support, who really backed them.

You gave us a team on that pitch that was hard to back yesterday.........how is that possible in THE Derby game??????

I ask you, only once, for the rest of your tenure as manager of our club, PLEASE PLEASE send your team out for the Derby games with Argyle knowing what it means to us fans, knowing that for this one fixture they need to be prepared to give everything they have, and then a little bit more.

There is no other fixture in the season that is as important.

Please remember that.
I usually back Tis but have to say this post is spot on

dommers

There is no other fixture in the season that is as important.
As an individual game you may be right. However, I'd still prefer to lose and finish 7th than win it an finish 20th although I may be in a minority.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
As an individual game you may be right. However, I'd still prefer to lose and finish 7th than win it an finish 20th although I may be in a minority.
I understand what you mean, maybe I am greedy but given that we are in the top seven don't think it is unreasonable to expect better performances against poor argyle and Torquay sides. It doesn't have to be a choice between derby wins and playoffs. Although sadly now we can't have both so may as well have the other.

IndoMike

I'd prefer to win it and finish 7th (or above)..Winning it of course would have helped enormously to finishing 7th (or above)

Devon_Lad

Yesterday we were ****. When will Tisdale realise how big these derby games are and the fans wont just take "Yeah we were a bit poor today" or whatever his usual **** poor excuses are.

Lets face it, were Exeter City, the best we're ever gonna be is a mediocre League 1 side, but generally mid table league 2, the only chance of glory and success we're ever really going to get is a good cup run and derby wins. Give me losing in the play-offs, 2 wins over Argyle and 3rd round of the cup over finishing 3rd this season.

Bittners a Legend

I don't disagree with most of the sentiments on this thread but before this season Tisdale's record in derby matches has not been too bad. From memory we've beaten Plymouth and Torquay twice each in a total of 7 matches before this season. Perhaps it was because we had better players, perhaps we had players that were more up for it. Who knows. I swear every game I watch we knock high balls up to Curo though. You cannot argue our tactics away from home have been successful but our obsession with seemingly wanting to sit back and hold out for 0-0 at half time leaves us utterly exposed when we go behind. Little invention and not enough players capable or willing of trying to get in behind either the full backs or beyond the centre halfs. I don't playing playing infront of teams but we have to be willing to change our style on occasions.